Project '80 Z has Begun......

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange Terror, Apr 16, 2007.

1. April81Z28

April81Z28 Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Eldersburg, MD, USA
    If it doesn't have them already, add subframe connectors to your list of must have's - trust me on this one.

2. 3_z28camaro

3_z28camaro Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 17, 2004
    Acton, CA
    Well, it looks like you have quite a project ahead of you. Good luck!:)

3. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Here's an update for you guys and gals.

First had to clean the garage up so I could do some work. Here is the after pic.

[​IMG]

Looking at parts that I had available and what I could get done in the time I had. While not a major issue, still a major inconvenience I decided where to start. Since I've owned the car it's never had working trunk springs, I've used this 2X4 for years to hold it open.

[​IMG]

I stumbled onto a car being parted out by a member on another board a couple months ago and picked up some replacement springs.

[​IMG]

Removed the trunklid and spring cover panel. 27 year old silicone for the window covering the panel screws is very stubborn #$*%@!!!!!

[​IMG]

Found only one spring was broken.

[​IMG]

After about an hour of cursing, frustration and some trial and error I got the new one on. Left the good old one in so I have a spare.

[​IMG]

Springs working very well.

[​IMG]

Trunklid back on and being held by the springs with NO 2X4!!!!

[​IMG]

And just for fun, here's what appears to be a beer bottle screw off cap from an old 40 ounce or something stuck in the windshield defroster vent. Noticed it walking by, thought it was kinda funny.

[​IMG]

4. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2002
    I had to replace my trunk spring years ago as mine broke the same way. I went to the junkyard and found a donor car. I was removing the spring and it released under tension. Before I know it, the end spun around and hit the back glass....shattering it. I almost wish someone caught it on camera because I had one of the huggest Oh-sh!t-what-the-hell-just-happened looks on my face. When I was installing it on my car, I had all kinds of rubber pads and things to prevent it from happening again!

5. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    that's Major improvement right there with a trunk lid that will remain open for ya........;)

6. 67lemanster

67lemanster Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 20, 2003
    I AM ILK

hey i had that exact same boot support rod. lol fixed mine also.

7. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Uh Oh.... Tommy has been spending too much time on the Beemer forum. :screwup:

You need to hook the end of the spring into one of the notches or it will rotate up and ding your tulip panel.....
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 2, 2007
  8. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    Yeah I know, it will take your head off right now. Plan to change it.

9. Skaal-tel 79

Skaal-tel 79 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2004
    CFB Petawawa, Ontario
    Fixing that niggling stuff is the best feeling there is.

Looks like you got a huge project ahead of you.. Good luck, and I know I'm looking forward to hearing more about it :)

10. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    So there hasn't been an update in awhile due to my father being sick and passing away, a problem with our house and a plethora of other things going on. However without further ado, here's the latest on my project.

Last night I picked up my motor. Its the original LT1 350 out of a 1971 Corvette Stingray. It was rebuilt about 10 years ago. The crank and rods are still stock but the pistons were upgraded to Kieth Black Hypereutectic pistons with 10:1 compression. The heads are a Brodix Aluminum Street head (Not sure if its this exact one but its along these lines, I'll check them out more this weekend http://store.summitracing.com/partd...400033+4294840140+4294867081+115&autoview=sku) with 2.02/1.60 valves. All the valves are Manley's. It has Comp's roller tip rocker arms. A flat tappet Comp 270 H Cam with hydraulic lifters. Also right now sitting on it is an Edelbrock Performer intake and a Carb Shop tuned Rochester Quadrajet. The motor has about 10k miles on the rebuild and up until 2 weeks ago was running in the car, even got driven to St. Ignace and back last month. I'll get some more in depth pics when I have time but here you guys go, these were taken last night after I got it home. There hasn't been an engine sitting in that frame in about 8 years!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]