Project '80 Z has Begun......

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by Orange Terror, Apr 16, 2007.

1. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    As most if all of you don't know and since I'm fairly new here I had a 1999 Z28 that I just sold. I also have a 1980 Z28 that has been sitting torn apart in storage for several years now. Seeing as we're all 2nd gen lovers here I thought I'd share this with you all. Well wasting no time since the 99 left (9 days) I wanted to get the old 80 Z28 out of the mothballs and get to work on her. This is the sad state of her the last few years...........(All pics are thumbnails, just click on them)

[​IMG]

So, while fishing for somebody with a truck and trailer and time to move it this weekend last week and coming up short, I happened to be talking to an old friend that I hadn't talked to for a couple months and told him that I sold the 99 and he asked if I got the other one moved yet and I said that I hadn't found anyone that could do it this weekend. Well turns out he has a car dolly and had time yesterday. So, we went and dug her out and brought her up to my house from my parents and she now resides in the garage at home so I can begin the "rebirth" if you will.

(the first 3 pics suck a little cause all I had with me was my phone camera) After clearing things out of the way and rolling her out at my parent's....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the dolly leaving.....

[​IMG]

After putting her in the Garage at my house (these are much higher resolution taken with my digital cam)......

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So now the question is where to start. I know the first place is washing the 7 years of dust and dirt off it!!! Stay tuned for updates..........

2. 3origZlovers

3origZlovers Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 25, 2004
    Springfield,MO. USA
    Oh man...you've got a jobbbbbbbbbb ahead of you...
    strip her down and find all your rust areas first...you need to know if you're gonna have to replace sheet metal (floors, etc.) or can get by with POR15 repairs...start inside and work your way out...:)

3. eightyZ28

eightyZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Longview,Tx
    3 suggestions:

Build it...

Enjoy it....

NEVER sell it...

4. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    Another '80 Z, very cool (I'm not partial :innocent: ). Looks like you'll be busy for a while.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

5. wookie

wookie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Daytona Florida
    We have two in our household. I'll offer a couple things....

1. Welcome to the family. 20,000+ strong here and growing. Lotta knowledge here, and lotta love.

2. Ask questions. We all started somewhere close to where you are now. Some in better shape, some in LOT worse shape.....

3. Enjoy the process. This is a hobby, a therapudic (sp) thing to occupy your time and mind along with your wallet, hehehe! Take your time and have fun with the restoration process. Make it YOUR baby, not what the current trend may be. Trends come and go. True love lasts forever. I am building the car I wanted to cruise in back in high school 25 yrs. ago.....down to the period-correct stereo and speakers. But with more modern muscle under the hood....

Mark

6. EricsZ28

EricsZ28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Here and there...
    P.S. You'll be missing that air compressor that was in your parents garage!

7. ColdBastrd

ColdBastrd Veteran Member Gold Member

Jul 9, 2002
    Some people say start at the body. I say start with the bottom up. As in suspension, brakes and rearend. Then engine-trans, and electrical. Body then interior last. Before you begin, make sure the body is solid and note where the problem areas are first. Nothing would be worse than dumping $$$ into a project just to later find the body is tweaked or rusted beyond repair. I strip everything off the frame and make it pretty first. Then my first purchase would be a soup to nuts suspension kit followed by a full out brake kit (new rotors, pads, booster, ect.). That all should keep you busy for awhile. Just my .02

8. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    The first thing I would check are the rear frame rails. If they are good I would make a plan of what I wanted out of the car. Do you want every nut and bolt replaced and painted without chips on them when reinstalling or do you want a reliable car with no mechanical problems.
    Once you figure this out your plan can start taking place. If you want a complete ground up resto you have a lot of planning ahead of you with lot's of $$$$$$.
    If you want a nice car that you drive on special days (not a show car) I would start with the front and rear suspension and brakes. I would install all new stock bushings and what ever is wore out in the suspension and drivetrain. I would then tackle the fuel system (tank and lines) it has been sitting for a long time do you have bad gas or a rusted tank.
    Do you have a running motor and tranny? If you do are you happy with their performance? If not I would at least redo the bottom half of the motor. The upper half can be redone at any time without much trouble.
    When do you want to drive the car? In a few months or in a few years? I would save the body work and the interior for the end. If you want to drive the car ASAP I would fix all of the above listed things and enjoy the car while working on it. My car has not seen the road in over 12 years and I would do it different if I had the chance. I would tackle one project at a time so I could still enjoy the car. I know this makes for more work but at least you can enjoy the car now. Let us know what you want out of the car and you will get a lot of advice from many members.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2007
  9. badslife2

badslife2 Veteran Member

Nov 11, 2001
    Saginaw,MI
    nice....
    good luck with the project

10. Orange Terror

Orange Terror Member

Dec 15, 2006
    Grand Rapids, Mi
    LOL, that's my air compressor, it's in my garage where the car is now. So I don't miss it a bit, I moved it a couple months ago. We'll have been in the house for 2 years in august, so that's part of the reason all my stuff was at my parent's place, just been moving it as I can.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and well wishes. Just to share more about the car and myself I've owned it for 10 years now. When I first brought it home it looked like this....

[​IMG]

And I drove it for 3 years looking like this....

[​IMG]

I tore it apart because a buddy had me thinking it was a good idea to do a full resto. After watching him do the same with his project then get tired of working on it and sell it I swore I wouldn't do that. Well, many years and a divorce later I'm going to resurrect it.

As for the plan, I'm with you che77vy, it's been sitting to long. I want to drive it. It's not going to be a trailer queen quality show car but it will get shown. I know that if I wait till I have the money to build it it may and probably won't happen, that's partly how it got like it is. So my intention is to do the minimum that I have to to make it drivable and upgrade it from there during the winters. All the while enjoying it in the summer.

Right now all I have is a good solid running 305 out of an 89 Iroc that a buddy has that should get me by for a couple years while I decide and build a new motor. Yes I know but it has more power than the 80's original motor had stock!! As for the rest of the drivetrain. I have an M20 Muncie with less that 1k on the rebuild and the rear has 4.10 gears in it. Those will be swapped for a 3.23 or 3.42. However someday I may put the 4.10's back in when I upgrade to a 5 or 6 speed.

So yeah, right now the plan is to wash it and get an idea of what kind of shape she's in now, which I still think is pretty good and go from there.