Pro systems "Little Monster" 1050 review

Discussion in 'High Performance Modifications' started by Plant Engineer, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    I finally got tired of fighting my Fitech on my 540. Great idea in concept. Didnt work so well in execution.

I decided to go with a car for the new 540. Problem is I wanted to keep the 2 1/2" rise hood and a Dominator wasnt going to clear with an air cleaner and a plate nitrous system. Ideally I'd be wanting about 1050 CFM flow potential but getting a 4150 to do that is problematic at best. Most 1050's dont do much better than 950 cfm. I needed something streetable with a strong idle and mid range signal. After checking out a few makers and discussing the project with Patrick James from Pro Systems who has built me a few carbs in the past I decided to have him put together one of their 1050 CFM Little Monsters. Its a newer design that I havent seen much feedback. Patrick assures me its actually near the 1050 CFM wet flow mark and that the way he works the boosters over it works well with the shallow venturi's in the carb body. I gave Patrick all of my info and he put one together for me.
    I got the carb installed the other day and set fuel pressure at 6 PSI with a 170 GPH holley mechanical pump and return regulator. Fuel level rose up to the base of the sight glass. Ive spent the last few days flogging it after having adjusted nothing but the mixture screws just a hair and the idle screw front and back. 02 readings from the lamda sensor are right where they should be throughout the RPM range and most importantly are 12.8 A/F at WOT and 7000 RPM so there doesnt seem to be a lack of airflow richening up the mixture. Iv'e TRIED to get it to stall on decel . No luck. It does everything like it was made for my engine.

Pros... Everything. Its perfect. Seriously Ive never used a better carb out of the box. Cant do any strip testing until April though. Seat of the pants is off the charts though.

Cons... The float screws are a little higher and none of my air cleaner bases will clear. Time for some air cleaner refab work time.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
    351maverick likes this.
  2. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    That is a MONSTER of a carb!! Glad it worked out for you.

3. Mwilson

Mwilson Veteran Member

very nice looking carb!

4. Lowend

Lowend Administrator. .a car, a man, a maraca. Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 25, 1999
    San Jose, CA, USA
    I hate carburetors, and if I was going to run one - it would be Pro-systems

That thing looks mean as hell

5. Plant Engineer

Plant Engineer Veteran Member

May 17, 2017
    Washington State
    Had to pick up a different nitrous switch for it as the carb body is different than a standard Holley and my old switch set wouldnt work. Need to clean up the plumbing a bit too. I like to keep the regulator on the fuel cell and plumb it Barry Grant style with the return line at full regulated pressure.

[​IMG]