pressed in stud repair on the car

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by gvernak, Jun 17, 2015.

1. gvernak

gvernak New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Holiday, Florida
    I'm having the same problem I've seen with the pressed in rocker arm studs! I ordered some Pioneer #850001 from Jeg's but the didn't have much application info. has anyone used these or Speedway 577RM348 Chromoly Threaded Screw-In Rocker Arm Studs, 3/8", Set of 16? Problem is taking the heads back off IS NOT an option for me now!!! the Techs were gone for the day at speedway. Just concerned about the pioneer length. It's for a 350 chevy 75 Camaro.
    Thanks for your input!
    Tried looking for dorman #693-006 they are discontinued. Couldn't find them anywhere!

2. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    So you currently have press in studs and you want to convert to these screw in studs? Are you asking about quality of the product, how to install them, or what? You realize these are screw in and you'll have to drill & tap the heads.

3. gvernak

gvernak New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Holiday, Florida
    Have pressed in, rebuilt motor, water pump went out, blew head gasket... rebuilt overhauled motor again, 2 studs are pulling up 1/8 so I ordered the pioneer studs but they really didn't have much info on them. wondered if anyone has used them and had any luck as far as the integrity of them.

4. gvernak

gvernak New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Holiday, Florida
    saw that some recommended the dorman, but they don't make them any longer! I have to either tap or Pin the ones that are coming out.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  5. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    That's a job I've never tried to do with head on engine. I'm certain it's been done but I never trusted that I wouldn't get shavings down in the engine.

6. gvernak

gvernak New Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Holiday, Florida
    My racing bud said use 2 good magnets and use grease on the tap and rags around the one I'm tapping and shop vac it and I should be o.k... my question is basically if anyone has used the speedway studs or the pioneer. there is a little more info on the speedway studs. Pioneer doesn't really tell you the length. I ordered the pioneer from Jeg's he seemed to think they would work o.k., but didn't seem like he knew for sure! saw the ones from speedway after I had already ordered the ones from Jeg's. looking to see if anyone has experience with one or the other!

7. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    I would be worried about shavings getting into the valve springs,those would be impossible to clean. The fact is,that even a shaving or two wouldn't be the end of the world. As an example, I have never removed the pan from or rebuilt an engine when replacing a wiped cam. I would however install a filter bypass eliminator,and use the longest filter you can fit on the engine.

8. Rich Schmidt

Rich Schmidt Veteran Member

Mar 27, 2010
    Denville NJ
    There is another option that is super easy if you are willing to do it. Bang the pressed in studs back down,and install tall valve covers,and remove the baffle from the covers. Install stud girdles and the proper stud girdle nuts,which work with all rockers including self aligning and stock rockers. That will keep the studs from popping up. It is easy to do as long as you don't man the tall covers the stud girdles will act as a baffle in the cover.

If you have a mild engine,you can use any of the cheap stud girdles that are available for as cheap as about $60 brand new with the nuts. Cheap single bar/u-bolt the girdles take up less space the double bar girdles,but I cant say for sure if they will fit under low covers.

If you want to go with stud girdles,the single bar type is best at stopping the studs from walking. Moroso is the only maker of them that I know of,and they are pricey,but I just saw this screaming deal on EBay. This is exactly what would fix your problem with no metal shavings or hard work required. It doesn't say that they have the nuts,but they are $225 for these girdles new,and the nuts are cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moroso-Stud-girdles-/281720674840?hash=item4197dc5a18&vxp=mtr

Last edited: Jun 21, 2015