Prep Car for 5 Month Storage

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by MotionClone, Oct 2, 2016.

1. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

don't worry too much. 5 months is not a big deal

wiseryder likes this.
  2. MotionClone

MotionClone Veteran Member

Jan 20, 2014
    away from the crazies
    I have a (2) 3.5" openings so not sure if steel wool would stay in. But im guessing it would be better than taping because that may trap moisture?

3. Camaro75LT

Camaro75LT Masshole Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 17, 2001
    Boston-ish
    There's two schools of thought about leaving gas in the tank. If you fill it, there's less room for condensation to form. If you leave the tank empty, there's no fuel to go bad. I leave the tank empty after putting a whole bottle of seafoam in it. Get the tank almost empty, dump the seafoam into the tank and idle it for a while so it gets into the lines/filter/carb. Prevents fuel from turning and potentially cleans the system.

When your ready to drive it again, put a few gallons in gas in, crack open the fuel line at the carb and run a hose from the line into a bucket. If it's a mechanical pump, crank the car for 30 seconds so you get fresh fuel into the system. If you're running an electric pump, run it for a minute for the same results.

4. BonzoHansen

yeah, five months, not five years. over kill. that's like November to march, or a bad east winter.

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I agree. For short storage like that, just remember to shut off the engine or it will run out of gas before Spring!

6. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    +1 on the dryer sheets! Plus your car will come out smelling nice & fresh! Steel wool is a great idea on the exhaust instead of tape.
    Also, A good racing fuel (such as VP racing fuel) works best for long storage. Racing fuel has a shelf life of 2+ years, whereas other fuels about 3 months. Not sure what the storage life of aviation fuel is? Make sure to run your car to get it fully through your fuel system.
    I store my car inside a car storage bag and use the moisture absorbing compound they sell so it stays dry inside the bag for the winter. Best part is the car comes out of the storage bag like the day you put it in!
    Here's the storage bag I use, http://www.carbag.com/

7. LADDTWZ

LADDTWZ Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2012
    Schoolcraft, Michigan
    I have the side pipes as well. I take a plastic solo cup, stuff it with dryer sheets and a piece of steel wool and jam it in the pipe. Never had a problem.

As far as moisture, I never had an issue, but I wait a few days before closing off the pipes for her winter's rest. Maybe hit it with a hair dryer if your concerned. Just throwing out options.

8. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    Keep the windows open a little under the cover.
    Keeps any moisture from building up.

Put real gas in it,not the ethanol stuff

9. BonzoHansen

real gas isn't an option around here. I used to hit the tank with some stabil in December, but there are a few fuel additives out there designed for the ethanol stuff now.

10. Dioskouori

Dioskouori Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Deloit, IA
    I put the car up on jack stands, remove the wheels, zip tie sandwich baggies with a little steel wool in them on the exhaust, and place a box of baking soda by the front dash, rear seat, and trunk. Then some fuel additive. Disconnect battery and through a cover over the whole car.