Power windows stopped working

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by TheMadDoctor, Feb 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Orlando, Fl
    I'm hoping to find some help here, since this is the most knowledgeable forum I have ever encountered! After driving home from work, I wasn't able to put either of my power windows back up. This is in a 1979 Berlinetta, that never has problems with the windows. I suppose that I should add that I have removed the switch, and hotwire the windows, as the car is a work in progress. It appears that I am not getting any voltage from the hot lead, as I was able to actuate the windows using a jumper from the battery. Since it was 2am when I got home, I haven't had any time to troubleshoot, except for pulling the circuit breaker. I know that I will need my multi-meter, but what should my next steps be. I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but all of my searches came up with post about power window conversions or adding relays.

Jeff

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
  3. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Some this can be done with just a test light, Do have power ,To your motors,to you switches ,They do wear out.

4. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    If both widows stopped working the first place I'd check would be the power window relay. located on the steering column. It has three wires going into it: orange, pink and pink dbl black stripe. Check for power at the orange wire ( power feed for the window switches) with the ignition on. Check for 12 v at the pink double black stripe with the ignition on, this is the power for the relay coil. If both are OK, you can check the relay coil for continuity with the pos probe at the pink/blk stripe relay input and the neg probe on the relay bracket If you don't have continuity undo the bolt that holds the relay, and disconnect the wiring harness. The relay is grounded through the cover and to the bracket by a small patch of solder, make sure it,s not cracked. If all seems okay suspect the relay contacts.

I had a similar problem with my power windows years ago, it turned out to be a bad solder joint that had cracked between the base and the cover. Got out the soldering iron and touched up the solder, worked fine ever since.

John

TheMadDoctor likes this.
  5. TheMadDoctor

TheMadDoctor New Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Orlando, Fl
    Thanks for the help, the orange wire didn't have any voltage. Apparently, it popped out of my fuse panel when I was going through a road construction area, and hit a big mess in the road.

Once again I can thank the best forum on the internet for helping me solve my problem. Although I do have to give some credit to firebirdtransamparts.com for this image that "closed the loop" so to speak:
    77fuse.jpg

6. 79ZED

79ZED Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Nanaimo, B.C., Canada
    MadDoctoe,

GLad you found the problem, if you don't have a circuit diagram or service manual, finding the relay can be a problem.

John