Power steering brackets help!

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by Mayfield 73, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    Have you checked the wrecking yards in your area and check the up to 1980 Chevy and GMC pick ups with big blocks ?

2. shad_van

shad_van Veteran Member

Jun 15, 2012
    las vegas, NV
    s
    the 502 is a short deck BBC. only the 366, 427 heavy duty truck motors with 4 ring pistons were offered in tall deck form. the 572 and 572R are also a tall deck blocks but they were only offered over the counter in long block or as crate motors .

I would look at the motor mounts and use the stock brackets. 1970 and 71 big block cars and z/28s used different motor mounts and frame stands than standard SBC car. 1972 BBC cars changed to the clam shell frame mount and a metal bracket engine mount. if I remember correctly these mounts offsets the engine to the passengers side about a half inch for clearance. your car being a 73 will have the clam shell mounts unless someone has change them. I am not sure if the engine mounting brackets are the same between small block and big block cars. there are several different engine mounting brackets. with various vertical offsets. for more info on the motor mounts chek out http://www.nastyz28.com/2gcog/motmount.html

As for the pump brackets, the OEM brackets have always work fine on my 71. the pump is does get close to the frame and steering box, but should not touch. one other thing to look at is the pump itself. is it a GM pump or is it a parts store brand? I am not try to bad mouth any particular suppliers, but I have had some really bad luck with parts store brands lately with the parts not fitting right. There are also a spacer that fits between the top bracket and the pump, you need it to make the pump align properly. that spacer is different from the SBC pump spacer, but I don't know the specifics of what is different, only they have 2 different part numbers.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  3. Mayfield 73

Mayfield 73 New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    I haven't checked the wrecking yards yet, I wasn't sure if the truck brackets would fit or not. I'll keep an eye open though. I do have the clam shell motor mounts, and I don't want to get taller ones because my air cleaner just barely clears my hood, and I've already got a 2 inch cowl an don' really want to go any taller. Thanks for all the input guys.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    A friend of mine used to own a Muscle car parts store . Had been working in wrecking yards as a kid.and had access to the parts interchange books. So he figured out that big block brackets for pickups were the same as muscle cars. And bought them from the local Chevrolet dealers.

5. BigBlock73

BigBlock73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
    I have the clam shell mounts and the brackets that are for 70-72 Camaro BBC.
    I can take some pics tomorrow if needed.

6. Mayfield 73

Mayfield 73 New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Yea if you don't mind that would be great to see a picture of your bracket set up on the car. Thanl you

7. BigBlock73

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
  8. BigBlock73

Jul 10, 2002
    Accord,New York
  9. Mayfield 73

Mayfield 73 New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Thank you so much. That helps alot. I'm going to try a couple of things and I'll let you know what I come up with.

10. Mayfield 73

Mayfield 73 New Member

Mar 20, 2017
    Ok so I finally made a decision and ordered a power steering bracket for a 70-72 camaro with a big block from classic industries. Hopefully this will solve my problem. It' supposed to be here in a week, so we'll see