Powdercoat hood hinge?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Mr Sunshine, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Powder coater wanted the springs left on so that they could do a better job at sandblasting and coating between the springs. I then used a cherry picker and a couple off tie down straps to spread the springs worked out pretty slick. The GM service manual also shows a tool to use to pull the springs as well. It is just a rod with a J hook on one end and a T-handle on the other side seemed to me it would have taken a bit of muscle to use the tool.

I have a couple of pictures on my project thread post #429 showing how i used the cherry picker to pull the springs.

http://www.nastyz28.com/threads/blown-79-z28-camaro-make-it-better-project.307005/page-43

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  2. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    The best method for me as far as installing/removing the springs is to use two ratchets straps between two post to my deck. Works great. Works best with two people so one can actually hold the hinge, but can be done with one person. I do not like any kind of springs.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Mr Sunshine likes this.
  4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    According to the GM service manual......

_DSC0816.JPG

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Wow, I don't think I've got the arms to be using that tool, lol. Any idea how many pounds of pull is required?

6. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Have no idea how much pull is needed but really don't need to pull it out very far. Back in the day "more like 30 years ago" I did a pair. it was doable...

7. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    I think I'll try the tie down straps and pull with some type of hydraulic force like your engine lift.
    Thanks

8. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Good choice :)

9. cycledan

cycledan New Member

Nov 5, 2017
    To pull springs off easy , place hood to where spring is stretched in max position and install thick washers between spring coils. Close hood to collapse and washers hold in open position making east to remove . After powder coating use razor knife around contact point to break seal of powder coat. Then grease on all swivel points before placing back on car. If it doesnt open and close freely with spring off then you may bend hood if it cant move with springs on.

10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    cycledan, using the washers seems to make sense. Will the spring come off with just partially closing the hood? Otherwise it would seem difficult to get to the spring with the hood all the way closed.

cycledan likes this.