Powdercoat hood hinge?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Mr Sunshine, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Anyone have experience with having their hood hinges powder-coated? I'm getting several components coated and considering the hinges as well. Just wondering if the thicker coat will restrict the hinge from rotating on the pins as it should or if it will affect the spring action??
    20151111_221105.jpg

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    If you paint them... they will scuff and chip.

Powder coat is more durable than paint but I think it will interfere with the function and probably scuff badly too.

3. 70 Proof

70 Proof Veteran Member

Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    Recently had one powder coated. It was a little stiff at first but that didn't last long. It got chipped a bit while reinstalling the spring and scraped near the forward arm due to rubblng
    Against another part of the hinge. The PC cost $34

IMG_20170929_212251.jpg

Attached Files:

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  4. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I had a set done and they looked great, but the coating was too thick and interfered with the operation.

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  5. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    I powder coated my hinges came out good. I did have to to pull the springs and work the hinges loose but are working just fine after doing so. i did get some scuffing were the hinges rub against each other but i am pretty i would have the same thing if i were to have painted them. I paid $35.00 apiece to have them done.

_DSC0802.JPG

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  6. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    They do look good though black powder coated. I elected to zinc phosphate mine. Did it myself and it was really easy once I made a big enough tank(old SS sink). I can now watch them rust again! Seriously, I hope a more thorough playing last longer than the factory job did. Plus frequent oiling.

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  7. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I was dumb and had my hood hinges powder coated. They looked beautiful but when I installed them and tried to close the hood I was met with virtually impossible resistance to get the hood to start to close. When I did get it to move it cracked the powder coating. In my opinion just buy new hinges and springs they dont cost that much. Mine fit fine and no paint chipping or closing issues.

8. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

You can get the same affect by using VHT chassis epoxy .

9. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    I powder coated mine with the springs on. Did a black texture finish. Came out great. They were a bit stiff, but loosened up nicely with no chipping. Glad I did it.

Mr Sunshine likes this.
  10. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Member

Dec 12, 2016
    Missouri
    Hi Bandit723,
    Those do look great. Did you pull the spring before or after powder-coating? And how did you pull the spring off?