`Porcelain on plugs looks burned!

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by willscamaro, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    What intake is under your Edelbrock carburetor? IF it is a Qjet/Spreadbore intake with an adapter plate between the carb and intake, either buy a Qjet or get a square bore intake. Those carb spacers are a poor fix to a bad situation.

IF it is a square bore intake be sure that the fitment between the intake and carburetor is good. Our youngest son’s 83 S10 with a 350 SBC, Wieand Action+ intake, Edelbrock 1406 carb ran like crap. It ran better after setting the float height and drop but not as well as the Qjet that was on it. By accident I noticed that the gasket that goes between the intake and the carb had a VERY thin contact area showing on it. I made a “goof plate” that out of 1/8” thick aluminum that had the OD of the intake and the ID of the butterflies of the carburetor. I installed a gasket to the intake, the goof plate, another gasket, then the carburetor. THAT goof plate and gaskets setup made a HUGE difference in how the engine ran.

After the fact, I learned that Summit sells the goof plate and gaskets as a kit: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G1420/?rtype=10

2. FatnLow

FatnLow Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 12, 2003
    Montgomery, AL US
    Edit: my bad it looks to be stock..... What are the motor specs? Original 350? High compression 350? Cheap gas, high compression can tear up a set of plugs quick. A few more specs would greatly help.

As a side note I bet it is hopping there with Thunder Beach going on.

3. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Fixed it for ya!!!;)

4. willscamaro

willscamaro Veteran Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Panama City, Florida
    All I really know is 5.7L 350 engine with the Edelbrock carb. I know he runs supreme gas in it, just think it needs proper adjustment. I will try to research any papers he got with the car and see what else I can find. I really appreciate the help!

5. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN

^THIS!!!!

6. Dave Nelson

Dave Nelson Veteran Member Gold Member

Dec 19, 2003
    Vineland N.J USA
    I would be more concerned where these "metal particles" are coming from.

7. Cardinal

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    Agreed.

Hopefully, said "metal particles" were not death metal particles (bearings or lifter particles).

8. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I advise (everyone) to use a oil filter magnet, or an oil pan plug magnet. They are not that expensive and every oil change will tell you if you are getting shavings or not.

9. Cardinal

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
  10. ls777z

ls777z Veteran Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Clay,NY
    About a week ago he posted about a knock in the engine. He was given several possible causes, one of which was a bearing (rod/main) going south. Now he's changed the plugs and it still runs like crap. Is changing/adjusting the carb really going to help ? I think he needs to address the metal issues in the oil first. Everything else is a waste of $$$ and time if the motor is junk.