Poor water pressure at outside spigots? Plumbing question

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by AllensaurusRex, Apr 23, 2018.

1. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    Does that Pex line run to the hose bib? or is copper run to the bib from Pex and your house is all Pex? Either way I don't hear good things about Pex. I'm shopping for Insurance at this time and one of the questions asked is, Is your house plumbed with Pex?

2. Shizzle

Shizzle Veteran Member

Aug 1, 2012
    oak lawn, illinois
    inlaws cottage in Michigan HAD pex, it was ripped out for copper. The splits in the winter and critters finding it tasty they said enough.

3. AllensaurusRex

AllensaurusRex Veteran Member

May 22, 2013
    Murfreesboro TN
    Shizzle is spot on. No leak until the outside spigot is on, and there is definitely a wet spot right under the house. It looks like the copper portion burst. My wife may have pulled the inside plants to the front porch for watering this winter :screwup:

As for pex, it is run all under the house. I know there were a few years where people didn't like them, but I think they have proven themselves a sturdy alternative. We ran them for our tankless water heater without issue too. Time will tell. That being said, I reside in Nashville TN where the winters aren't unbearable...BUT it was a cold one this year.

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    All new houses being built here in Texas us PEX for cement foundations.

5. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2008
    ffx, va
    Frostproof faucets won't usually drain if a hose is left attached or if they're graded wrong (uphill).
    As far back as yours burst, you should drain the line from the shut off to the outside (front & back) when you shut down for winter. Your shut off (inside) should have a bleed on the side of valve to do so (knurled nut). Kind of like having your finger on straw. Won't drain until you break vacuum (move finger) to let water out. Some faucets have backflow prevention devices & won't drain (either way) well. Best to blow air through lines. That pex probably has "belly's" in it & will trap water. Put the bleed back on when done, so if the valve goes bad (or gets turned on) it doesn't leak into house. May need a pex crimp tool to fix. Check to see if a shark bite fitting works on pex?
    Can then fix yourself, just have to fasten outside faucet or it will spin on the shark bite fitting!

6. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    I’m not crazy about the “frost proof” faucets. 2 years in a row I’ve had them break over the winter. No hoses and Drained both times. 1st time faucets were left in “closed” position. 2nd time they were left “open” Copper line to both and angled nicely to drain. We will see when I turn everything on here in a few days if ive got a 3 year streak.
    Just seems odd to me that in the 25 years my parents have had their house and god only knows how old the faucet really is and have never had to replace it.

7. sprink

sprink Veteran Member

Apr 27, 2008
    ffx, va
    The copper is thinner on most frostproof faucets than standard "m" or "l" copper used in homes. I've replaced or repaired (hammered break shut & silver soldered) far more frost proof faucets than just standard hose bibbs. Helps to take stems out to help drain also, but most folks can't. PIA.
    Those styrofoam cups help also. My Grandad used to wrap newspaper around his reg. old faucets just to knock the wind off. Never froze!
    OP- better check the other one to see if it burst also. Because of the long stem, frostproof faucets won't leak until turned on from outside, even though the line to it has psi.