Poor mans electronic speedo conversion

Discussion in 'Gauge Marks' started by supwicha, Aug 20, 2015.

1. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Hello all, looking for some suggestions/feedback on my cluster project. I have recently converted my '79 to a later model EFI LT1 setup from a Caprice. In an effort to control cost, I did not want to change tailshaft housing to have a VSS signal at $500. I also wanted to maintain the stock cluster appearance. I gutted the sppedometer head and updated it with components from an '05 Chevy Aveo and will use the original PCB wired to the PCM. I should be able to update the decal for a perfect match although it is surprisingly a close match. I should also be able to update the calibration via the PCM. Has anyone ever tried this type of conversion before? If so, how did it work out for you? So far I'm into it for $18.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Da-bigguy

Da-bigguy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Cypress, TX
    That looks pretty good. Have you got it installed and running yet? I'd like to know how that goes.

3. harbone66

harbone66 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 15, 2011
    Central Illinois
    Nice work, heck it even kind of matches!

4. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    I do not have it installed yet. I still have about 25 hours more of work to complete my LT1 conversion. As well as some other miscellaneous items. I figure I'm 6-8 weeks out before I resume the cluster project. I'll update when I get there, thanks for your interest.

5. cvhu

cvhu Member

Jan 18, 2012
    sarnia, ontario, canada
    i used the same speedo for my conversion, it works but its off by 10 kms per hour

6. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Have you attempted to modify the calibration in your PCM? Thanks

7. hogg

hogg Veteran Member

Dec 29, 2000
    pegram,tn.,cheatam
    Can't you just move the hand?

8. supwicha

supwicha Veteran Member

Feb 23, 2014
    Victorville, CA
    Most likely he is describing an issue related to accuracy over a various range of speed and not a needle being stuck at a certain position. Electric speedometers normally self center at zero at startup. It may be that the pcm needs the correct tire/gearing combination to work.

9. cvhu

cvhu Member

Jan 18, 2012
    sarnia, ontario, canada
    supwicha is correct the accuracy is off by 10kms but i am working on a way to fix it

10. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    Can you put stock pointer on new spedo? Looks nice