Poor Customer Service

Discussion in 'Ground Up' started by Americanmuscle13, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Americanmuscle13

Americanmuscle13 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2003
    West Plains, MO
    Almost a month ago now I ordered a new stainless fuel tank and stainless straps for my car. Shortly after placing my order I received an email saying the straps were back ordered and it would be 7-10 days. No big deal I thought. 10 days later I call because I haven't seen any of my parts yet. They inform me that the straps are still back ordered and it will be 2-3 weeks more at a minimum. Apparently Ground up had no plan to notify me of this. I was also informed that they won't be shipping anything until all of my parts are in. :( They offered to send me their galvanized straps instead, which I accepted. 2 days later I got a phone call saying they're out of stock on stainless tanks as well. This is after I've been waiting for almost 3 weeks for parts. They offered to send me their standard galvanized tank, which costs $20+shipping more than I can buy one for locally. When I voiced my unhappiness in having waited almost a month for parts I wouldn't get, the sales rep simply tried simply tried pushing the other parts instead.

This is the first time I've ordered something from ground up. It will definitely be the last. I've never had this much difficulty getting parts from a supplier.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

That sucks, sometimes you wonder what these companies think when they can't give you a heads up. You mean they don't have a system where they know they have parts ordered and those orders haven't been filled due to stock. 1 minute phone call or an e-mail advising you of the problem and you wouldn't be mad would ya? And dang just ship him the regular tank for a little less than it would cost him to get it locally. You end up with a customer posting a kudos to Ground Up instead of a poor customer service post.

3. JWZ28

JWZ28 Veteran Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Alabama
    I'm willing to bet they had the initial tank in stock at the time you ordered it, then sold out of those while you were waiting on the straps. I've seen companies do it before, and it's nothing but greed.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll be steering clear as well.

EDIT: I'd be demanding my money back and going elsewhere for the tank and straps.

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I have had a shifter cable on back order for over a month now from one of the popular venders and I called them this week and they said the cables will be here around the 20th but they could not guarantee that when the order arrives that one of those cables will be mine. I told them I wanted 10% off of it for pain and suffering and they agreed. More than likely if they are out of your straps then the other venders may also be out of them.

5. junkyardZ28find

junkyardZ28find Veteran Member

Mar 4, 2012
    des moines, iowa
    See...that's the problem with waiting on Chinese container ships to arrive....never really know what's going to be arriving....another reason companies shouldn't deal with China.

6. Americanmuscle13

Americanmuscle13 Veteran Member

Nov 20, 2003
    West Plains, MO
    I ended up canceling my order and buying a Spectra tank locally. I had it in 2 days and didn't have to pay shipping. I would've been a lot more understanding if they had communicated well. Like Grzewnicki said, taking 1 minute to send an email would have alleviated a lot of these issues.

7. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Yup the value of communication is sorely under rated by many. I can't tell you how many people at work are pissed off due to that, as soon as I know something that affects the people that work for me they know. Its not frickin rocket science, people want to know what the heck is going on. I see Ground Up hasn't checked in yet.......

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    GU should have given you 50% off on the tank for you troubles. Some Co just don't know how to run a business in order to keep customers happy. Remember the customer is always right. Wake up GU before you go under cause word travels like wild fire. I've bought parts from GU in the past with no issues, but I won't order again after this notice. :eek:

9. Zstar

Zstar Veteran Member

Mar 23, 2014
    Ocala, Florida
    The issue that may be causing us all a bunch of grief is that there is a labor slow down at all of the west coast ports. A segment on the news last night showed 17 container ships anchored outside the port of Los Angeles. Union wants more money again.

10. Protour-Camaro

Protour-Camaro Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2012
    California
    I'm still waiting on an Item from August!! If I recall though...the transaction only charged me for in stock items. So I'm not out the cash waiting.