Poly body mounts or subframe connectors?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by FlynyrdSkynyrd, Jun 18, 2017.

1. FlynyrdSkynyrd

FlynyrdSkynyrd New Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Mammoth Spring, AR
    I've done some reading on both of them, but none of them were oriented towards daily drivers. My '81 is a pretty tame cruiser and I don't want to stiffen it up to where it rides rough, so what do you guys recommend? Right now, my car seems to "upset" itself over bumps and potholes, and I figured either poly mounts or bolt-in sfc's would fix it. Thoughts?

2. 70 SS/L78

70 SS/L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 5, 2005
    Rockford, MN
    Odds are your stock body mounts are probably shot. If you want a decent ride then stick with stock style rubber replacement body mounts. Poly mounts will give you a harsh ride for a daily driver unless you're ok with that. Sub-frame connectors are more of a performance upgrade to strengthen the body by tying the rear frame and front sub-frame together.
    Also check the bushings in the front and rear suspension. They could be worn as well and make your car respond undesirably over bumps.

3. CorkyE

CorkyE Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Ringgold, GA
    I have solid bushings and sub-frame connectors, didn't notice that much more harshness in ride. I also have delrin bushing and Koni red shocks. If this is just a tame cruiser with wore out rubber bushings, you'll be surprised how much new rubber bushing will tighten it up. And like said above, if you haven't installed new control arm bushings, they're likely wore out also.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

Frame connectors is what I would recommend,That what I have on my 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro .It stiffens up the car and is a little rougher, But poly mounts just makes matter worse.It has no give. Especially on today's

Attached Files:

5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    You need to address any worn bushings before you entertain sub frame connectors I installed solid body bushings with no notice of a ride change.

6. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    In my experience.... Body bushings don't seem to change the ride quality.
    Neither do subframe connectors. (I installed poly subframe bushings and bolt-on SFCs around 60K miles ago.)

If you're replacing badly worn bushings which allow the car frame to wiggle around beneath the body... You'll notice an improvement in handling and the body/frame will move together as they should. You may notice fewer "rattles" in the car but it won't ride rough.

Good shock absorbers (and decent springs) are the key to smoothing a rough ride.

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    San Antonio Tx
    I agree with Twisted Metal! Used polys for body bushings & Jegs bolt in SFC. No real difference in ride quality except for a much stiffer frame. My 78 would twist the frame when reving the engine befor SFC install.