Poll on Your Camaro's Gas Mileage ?

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by 81_Z28_NC, May 2, 2008.

1. flowjoe

flowjoe Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    No attitude at all - I just didn't want to make assumptions about why (was it for curiosity? were you looking to build an "economy" 2nd gen? etc, etc)

And no, I did not think you some ignorant fool. Since your motive was not clear to me I did not want to presume to know your mind when I made the comment above.

2. 81_Z28_NC

81_Z28_NC Veteran Member

Aug 2, 2007
    thomasville,NC
    Flowjoe....thanks for clarifying. You are absolutely right I should of been more clear with my post. I apologize for getting defensive....I feel like an idiot.

Thanks for the info everyone and taking time to post.

3. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    It's the interweb - misunderstandings happen.

It's an interesting topic in a perverse sort of way. I mean, we're never going to reach Geo Metro MPG numbers with these things and we all know it. But at the same time we've all wondered what sort of mileage we get (even while not truly caring about the answer) and how many times have we been asked by someone at a show or at the gas station, "How Miles to the gallon do you get in that thing?"

I decided to pick my girls up from school a week or so ago. Filled up the tank with premium and headed off. Did it two days in a row (@34 miles round trip) and I was under a half tank on the gauge (how accurate? after 24 years of owning the car I still don't know the answer to that). So no matter what the MPG it's still really cool and really creepy to literally watch your fuel gauge go down as you drive:eek: :) ...of course all three of us had huge grins on our faces and I got to hear two squeals of delight every time I put the hammer down...as the ad says.....PRICELESS

4. Lunney

Lunney Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Mass
    I get the same question all the time with the price of gas these days and I still answer the same way-it can get 13 mpg highway if I stay off the throttle but thats like having a loaded gun at the firing range and not shooting it-why bother. oh my 73rsz has an American Speed 383(425hp) enforcer tremec 600 and 3:73 10 bolt and non working gas gauge!

5. CRead01

CRead01 Veteran Member

Jul 22, 2007
    west michigan
    I understand that these cars are not usually daily drivers. but with the price of gas these days I drive dependant on how much I can afford to drive my car. I have a big block and get about 8 mpg. Alot of my future mods are going to be in getting better mpg. The way I look at it the better the mpg my car gets the more I can drive it. If gas was back to a $1 a gal. I would be driving it every day in the summer. But at $4 a gal. I can really drive it as much.

I guess what I am saying is the better the mpg the more I can drive it.

Just my .02

6. flowjoe

Feb 7, 2006
    SoCal
    I realized that I made an error above...it is @ 24 miles round trip to my daughters' school. if a 1st gen's tank is @ 18 gallons we can assume that at 1/2 tank I have 9 gallons left...two trips at 24 miles each = 48 miles divided by 9 gallons and we get:
    TA-DA 5.33 miles to the gallon

that would give me a cruising range of 95.9 miles...guess I won't hitting an of those cruises up in LA:)

7. finally71z28

finally71z28 Veteran Member

Aug 12, 2007
    OAK VIEW, CALIF.
    I'm with FlowJoe. I'm kinda an old Dude (59) trying to relive a piece of the muscle car era. I grew up during those years like a lot of the guys on this site. I had a 65 goat convertible, that I traded in on a Vega wagon cause my wife (Ex-wife) thought we needed a "family car" (but it was a GT wagon!). Please feel free to kick me, as I have a thousand times! Had a couple of 57 Chevy's, a really cool 68 Camaro SS and a new 71 Z I bought when I got back from Viet Nam in December 1970 that also went by the wayside for a 75 T-bird.
    Worked my azz off for the next 30 years and finally retired comfortably. Hunted long and hard and finally found a matching numbers 71 Z in great condition. It has the usual drips and minor inconveniences, but the big stuff is done. Now it's it spends most of it's life under a car cover in the garage. I drive it mostly to local cruise nights, or just for the pleasure of of hearing it "sing" on the open road. It sees the sunlight at least twice a week, which is year round in SoCal. My son loves it and my "new" wife (28 years) thinks its loud, claustraphobic and takes up space in the garage.
    So, I guess the bottom line for me is, I don't give a rats azz how high 91 octane gets, I'm won't give up my simple pleasure - I have my wife's Honda CRV for the day to day stuff !

8. scottw383

scottw383 Member

When my '72 was stock (whopping 165hp 2bbl 350, TH350, 2.73) I'd get about 15mpg in town and maybe 18-19 on the highway.

Now, with a 383, TH350 and 3.73s, I get 10mpg in town and maybe 13 on the highway if I keep the speed down to 55-60.

Of course, it is just a wee bit more fun to drive now...

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  9. blades67

blades67 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2005
    Chandler, Arizona, USA
    My '78 was averaging 15-16.5 MPG combined. This was with the 2GC carb'd 305/TH350 with a 2.41 rear cog. If I ever get my junk back on the road I expect to see some improvement with the BTO TH200-4R I installed.

10. 78TypeLTCamaro

78TypeLTCamaro Veteran Member Gold Member

Mar 2, 2001
    Waltham, MA. USA
    My 78 with 305, auto, and 2.41 rear got 18 mpg going 85 mph to NY from MA last Summer. In the past I have gotten close to 20 if I recall.

I figure that is not bad mileage for a 30 year old sports car, and when I have conversations with people and I mention what I drive in the Summer, they say 'oh that must have bad gas mileage'. When I tell them I get 18 mpg they are surprised and say their Infiniti or SUV barely gets that. For me I can have a car that is reasonable in gas mileage and still fun to drive.