Poll on Eaton Posi vs Eaton Detroit TruTrac

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by jthomas, Jan 4, 2017.

Poll: Eaton Posi vs Eaton Detroit TruTrac. Which do you prefer and why?

Poll closed Jan 14, 2017.
  1. Eaton Posi

56.3%
  2. Eaton Detroit TruTrac

37.5%
  3. Other Posi Unit

6.3%
  1. Randy 81

Randy 81 Veteran Member

Oct 28, 2009
    Loganville, Ga
    I've used both diffs, mainly in autocross but some street. On the street either will work fine, but for autocross I preferred the Tru trac.

2. jthomas

jthomas Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    So the Eaton Posi wins with 8 votes, but lots of positive comments about the TruTrac. I have to make a decision which one to go with for street use. Both seem to have their benefits. My hesitation on the Eaton Posi is clutch wear leading to slop in the spiders. I know you can rebuild them but you have to be careful removing ring gear and reinstalling carrier. There is risk in the process.

On the other hand, If you Google Detroit TruTrac you see a lot of posts about noise, even though they are supposed to be very quiet. I know the difference between the Detroit Locker and the Detroit TruTrac. The locker will make noise so when Googling you have to be sure they are saying the TruTrac is noisy.

I like the TruTrac design and am considering it. Those who have it, can you comment more on pros and cons for street use and any noise issues?

3. big gear head

big gear head Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    What are you going to be using this for? Clutches wear very slowly and shouldn't be a concern for street use. I know of many old Eaton units that lasted for more than 40 years without any problems.

4. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Strictly street use. Currently at 360 hp with plans for upgrade in future to no more than 500 hp. The reason I was concerned is my last Eaton Posi lasted 4 years and the clutches wore enough to cause spider gear slop. It started clunking when going R to D and visa versa. I replaced the clutches which fixed it but the case started leaking recently from a crack caused by a some unavoidable road debris. I'm replacing the entire unit now. I decided to spend the coin on a Strange or Moser crate 12 bolt. Just need to decide on which company and which differential. They both recommend TruTrac for street.

I'm definitely not hard on the Camaro. No water burnouts, autocross or strip use. Just spirited driving at times.

5. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    I've never had that problem with clutches before. Were they the carbon fiber clutches or the steel clutches? I don't really care for the carbon fiber set. I prefer the 18 disc steel set.

6. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    They were carbon fiber...The ones that came stock in a new aftermarket Eaton HD unit. I put the steels in after contacting you by PM and all was well until I cracked the case. Unfortunately if I buy a Moser or Strange with the Eaton Posi they will have the carbon fiber clutches too, which is why I was considering the TruTrac.

So its Eaton Posi with Carbon fiber clutches or Detroit TruTrac. Opinion?

Also, any opinion on Moser 12 bolt vs. Strange 12 bolt? I am also still considering your suggestion to have JD Race build me a 10 bolt, but honestly, for a few hundred more I can buy a new 12 bolt already setup and ready to go, just not sure which company has a better product. Would like to bolt it in and forget about it.

7. big gear head

Jul 30, 2001
    Central City, Ky.
    I like Moser housing ends better. The Strange ends don't have a place for a OEM axle seal when using the sealed ball bearings.

I've never tried a Truetrac in a street car before, so I don't have an opinion on it.

8. Patrick73RS

Patrick73RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I have a 71 and 73 both with Moser 12 bolts (Ford ends on them). I bought my first one from Freddie. Easton posi 3:73. I got the second one from a member here, it was new and only installed on the car but not driven. It has a true trac in it and 3:73. I don't go to the strip but I do light them up on empty roads away from the subdivisions. To be honest I can't tell the difference between the two. The both drive extremely well.

On the street if you got into one of my cars I am willing to bet you couldn't tell which car had which unit in it.

9. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    The trutrac does make noise at very slow speeds

10. jthomas

Dec 5, 2007
    NorthCentral PA
    Thanks Patrick73RS. Do you like the Moser units? Do you get any noise from your TruTrac at low speeds too like Badazz81z28 mentioned?