polishing help 101 !!!

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by 2x4, Dec 17, 2001.

1. 2x4

2x4 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2001
    kalamazoo,mich.,49001
    i need help polishing small parts-aluminum & steel.
    its something i just cant seem to catch on to & wondered if anyone had ideas. it drives me nuts!
    i've tried with a dremel tool & get horrible resuls!

2. patgizz

patgizz Moderator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 10, 1999
    Cleveland
    what kinda stuff. sand it with 2000 grit and hit it w/ mothers or wenol polish

3. Psychohamster

Psychohamster Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Redwood City, CA. USA
    Having nearly completed a Harley project, let me tell you there is allot of aluminum polishing invovled. Steel doesn't really "polish" it will rust fast. For aluminum sand with the black wet/dry paper use it wet and sand up in stags to about 600 grit, then try "never dull" polish wading then mothers or wenol by hand should work. The type of aluminum also matters, If it is anodized you should not sand at all or try to polish it to much.

4. 2x4

2x4 Veteran Member

Jul 14, 2001
    kalamazoo,mich.,49001
    the main part i was thinking about was a master cylinder off a 4th gen i'm using on mine. i think it would look all cool shiny!

5. ForbesSS

ForbesSS Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2001
    Acworth, GA
    I want to polish my (Al) wheels and was wondering about the method. They are painted silver and clear coated. How do I strip it down to the metal? Would bead blasting do it?

6. Psychohamster

Psychohamster Veteran Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Redwood City, CA. USA
    If you blast them be ready to sand your nads off. I'd try a chemical stripper, put some on the back of the wheel first and see the results, an aircraft quality/type should work. Something that won't affect aluminum.

7. monteZ27

monteZ27 Veteran Member

Dec 23, 2000
    littleton, CO, USA
    You need polishing wheels and polishing compound.You will have to look in the yellow pages for places to get it.Have a tough drill or bench grinder to put these wheels on and go for it.You will have to experiment with how much compound to use.You will get the hang of it.I did my set of 87 IROC rims.I blasted them with wall nut shell media(yellow pages).Kept them faily smooth and polished and painted from there.Lots O work.

------------------
    1970 Camaro RS/SS
    Solo II Racer