Points versus HEI

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Jamie Harrsion, Nov 15, 2017.

1. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    In my 70 Z28 I'm using the stock dizzy with the Crane XR-i module. It replaces the points. I used a Pertronix in the past until it died from heat.
    [​IMG]

2. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    wow ... this is even a discussion?

just wow.

PalmbchZ28 likes this.
  3. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    My buddy with a 67 GTO asked me about doing the HEI swap with his 400. I told him to it was an easy thing to do. He did it and then complained that it did not run as smooth as points did and switched back after a couple weeks. I guess it is a matter of preference. The Hi Po points set is the way to go if you do run points. Wider contacts and stronger spring. The cam lobes do wear out so that could be a problem. The guy at my local Oriely's had a 65 Buick wildcat that the Dist cam lobe was so worn it did not open the points. He could not get it to start. I tried to adjust with no luck. He thought his coil was bad but you could manually open the points and get a spark to jump. I told him to just get a new dist. He gave up and sold the car. I wish I knew he was going to do that I would have gotten it for a steal.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Sure its a discussion. Points worked well for many years. If you drive your car alot, then by all means go electronic. Much less fussing around in the long run. If you drive your car less than a few thousand miles a year and the engine is relatively stock, than there's nothing wrong with points. For those few of miles you will probably need to "tune it up " (set the dwell) maybe a couple times a decade.
    One thing that would push me to electronics are the extras like a rev limiter.

5. FlaJunkie

FlaJunkie Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Rockledge, Florida
    Agree. However, you have a rev limiter...your right foot!

6. Jamie Harrsion

Jamie Harrsion New Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Thanks guys,
    I did have new points put in the distributor as well as a rev limiter at 5400 rpm. I only drive maybe 1000 miles a season so I'm thinking I will give it a try. I have an after market air cleaner but I want the original back on the engine. I have had a few issues with the carburetor(back firing). I blew out the power valve and had it rebuilt. There is no vacuum line connected to the distributor. I'm told that going back to points with the vacuum hose will help fuel mileage and power. Not sure. I'm trying to locate a wire in my harness that ensures the coil doesn't run at 12 volts after ignition. I'm told that this wire has a cloth insulator but I'm not sure what the engine builder did with it, probably tucked in the harness somewhere.

7. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    My rev limiter right now is in my back pocket (wallet).

8. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Running with your VA will also give you a better idle.

FlaJunkie likes this.
  9. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    I'm going back to points distributor and dual snorkel air cleaner on my 70Z28. I'll be removing the what appears to be an Accel HEI currently in the car. This set-up has a re-pop dual snorkel air cleaner with the distributor relief area notched out.
    Bryan