Pneumatic Framing Nail Guns

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by 71Rocks, Feb 4, 2015.

1. night rider

night rider Veteran Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Bremen, Ga
    I have a harbor freight one. I'm not a pro, not using it a whole lot but have been happy with it so far.

Here's the one I have. 3 in 1 framing nailer http://www.harborfreight.com/10-gauge-3-in-1-air-framing-nailer-98751.html

It was $99 when I bought it and i had a 20% off coupon so I got it for 80 bucks.

So far I ran 2000 full head 3.5" long 10 ga. nails and about 1500 2.5" full head nails through it. Only a handful of jams and a couple of misfires.

2. grzewnicki

grzewnicki Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

3. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Tewksbury, ma, usa
    Yes and no this one is paper tape not the plastic strip nails. (Paper ttake also holds more nails). But either way great gun

4. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

Here are the 3 guns I have used Hitachi, Paslode and Bostich. The Hitachi is a staple gun I got the first of last year, this staple gun shoots 1-1/2 staples. So for I have put 12,000 staples though it and so for I'm happy with it.
    The Bostich I've had for 3 years now, granted I'm no pro but I put a little over 8000 nails though it last year and probably about the same amount the 2 previous years. I build a lot of shipping crates. So far I have not had any problem with it.
    The Paslode, I borrowed from a friend before I bought the Bostich. He knew I was looking for a gun and he was talking it up. I ran a box of nails though it before I gave it back. It is a well made gun and would serve you needs. Before you buy a gun though you may want to look at the cost of nails. I know both Lowes and Home Depot carries the Bostich. Then Lowes carries the Hitachi and Home Depot carries the Paslode. After you make up your mind on the brand you want, troll the pawn shop as Motion Clone said. From what I seen around here both the Paslode and Bostich go for right around $75.

5. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Tewksbury, ma, usa
    You can buy the right nails for the Hitachi at any big box store

6. ripcurl329

ripcurl329 Veteran Member

May 14, 2008
    Fredericksburg, Va
    i bought a 4 nail gun pack Lowes brand and they have really lasted well. I framed a full basement and other projects with them and have had no problems at all. Framer, brad, finish and staple guns.

Here is what i bought. the price came down a bit.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_409407-43657-NK405400DI_1z10r6s+1z13ymb__?productId=4009973&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar|1%26page%3D1&facetInfo=Campbell%20Hausfeld#BVRRWidgetID

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  7. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    First let me say thank you for the great feedback.

What does the "clipped head" mean on the Hitachi nail gun? I was initially thinking it meant a semi-circle of material was removed from the head, but I looked at a pic of the nails it uses and they are full. ???

8. hot72rod

It means a slice of the head was taken off. A lot of times it hard to see in a pic with the nails in a ribbon.

9. 71Rocks

71Rocks Veteran Member

Oct 12, 2011
    North Texas
    That is what I was thinking, but the pic fooled me. I'm trying to research it but I read somewhere (I believe it was the garage journal) that clipped head nails may go against building code? Has anyone heard of this? I am investigating the building codes in my area to see the requirements.

Thanks again.

-Mark

10. hot72rod

That's the best thing to do. Just because I can get away with something in my area doesn't mean you can in yours.