Plastic wax

Discussion in 'Detailing Topic' started by Lobsterbak, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Lobsterbak

Lobsterbak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Adirondack, New York
    What do you guys use to keep that black porous plastic on your vehicle looking good? I have an 08 Silverado...and the bumpers, grille, mirrors etc are all black plastic...

Ive tried Turtle Wax Ice, Mothers back to black....tire shine...it's all comes off in a day or two and leaves nasty streaks on my white truck...there has to be something better out there. A guy at the dealership said they use peanut butter, but I'm not ready to go smear peanut butter all over my truck :screwup:

Thanks!

2. speedyrev

speedyrev Veteran Member

Jul 30, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Pledge furniture polish

3. 79camaro2001

79camaro2001 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 4, 2003
    Monroeville, PA
    I bet the peanut butter trick is because of the peanut oil

But I don't want to attract wild animal to my truck either!

4. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Get it really clean, degreased, spray it with clear coat. Some Truck and Van paint from Dupont works really well. Will darken it and give it a luster without a glassy shine. Do it once and forget it for years.

5. Lobsterbak

Lobsterbak Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Adirondack, New York
    never thought of that...Id like to paint the front bumper caps white someday to match the rest of the truck, just waiting for the rest of our garage to come together.

I'm thinking clean the crapola out of the plastic, high build primer to smooth out the texture then paint/clear? What's the truck/van paint your talking about? I did a quick search and couldn't find it anywhere.

6. camarobaby79

camarobaby79 Veteran Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Black Creek, NC, US
  7. AJ_72

AJ_72 Veteran Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Chebanse, IL USA
    Used engine oil. Just a very damp rag will do. Works wonders.

I pull my dipstick out and carry it around the vehicle to moisten the rag as I go.

8. loudvolvo

loudvolvo Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2008
    Shelbyville, Ky
  9. amschnellsten

amschnellsten Veteran Member

Feb 16, 2009
    cincinnati ohio
    Here is the ultimate trick! Try a test spot first! I use a torch but you should probably use a heat gun until you get the feel for it. Heat actually pulls the moisture from aged plastic back to the surface. I quickly move a torch back and forth over the discolored plastic and it restores it to new condition. You will be absolutely amazed and it lasts a couple of years. Even plastic trim that has turned gray, almost white will usually become a deep black agian. I leaned this when I was a VW mechanic and have used this on every car that I have owned that has black plastic trim.

10. serpent710

serpent710 Veteran Member

So it only works on black plastic?