plastic supply line inside rubber line

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by Chuck71RS, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Chuck71RS

Chuck71RS Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 24, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Installing 5 gauges of which two use the plastic supply line (oil press and vacuum).

The plastic tube is coiled and stiff making it unwieldy to use as well as horrible looking.

Got rid of the unwieldy coil by slipping it inside of old rubber line I had in the garage. The black rubber line also blends in with the rest of the engine compartment

2. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    Yours must be made in China. I bought mechanical gauges back in '81 and they are still working well with no coil bind. I bet mine are more pliable too.

3. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The rubber should protect the plastic and help increase its life span. Some of that plastic line doesn't like being exposed to the elements, and the rubber should help that.

4. ron1179

ron1179 Member

I used AN #3 fittings & #3 Lines, T- it off the engine so you can still use the Sending unit. (Oil) Clean Install.....

5. CamaroDoc

CamaroDoc Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2003
    Skiatook, Okla. 74070
    Heat the line in hot water and it straightens right out...

6. vfitom2aol.com

vfitom2aol.com Veteran Member

Mar 2, 2000
    NE PA
    Copper line works too. Bend into shape.

7. Big-Dave

Big-Dave Veteran Member Gold Member

May 24, 2008
    Terryville,Ct.
    +1

8. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    Cool trick, BUT I would never run that plastic line. copper at a minimum, go steel braided :)

9. APEowner

APEowner Veteran Member

Dec 9, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    I dislike the looks of plastic line but in my experience if you make sure it's routed away from heat and doesn't chafe on anything it'll last pretty much forever. I've run it several hundred thousand miles on many of my vehicles as well as in customers dirt track cars and my road race 2nd gen.

Copper looks a gazillion times better but you have to be careful of how it's routed and clamped. If it flexes over a short length it'll work harden and crack.

You can run braided to a bulkhead on the firewall for both good looks and durability but the cost get's pretty close to a good full sweep electric gauge at that point.

10. vegas1974z28

vegas1974z28 Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Las Vegas,NV
    You can run braided oil line into the cabin, just NOT FUEL line. :) (That you need the Bulkhead for :)