Plastic Dip Rally Stripes

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by ratpatrol71z28, Mar 7, 2014.

1. doublec

doublec Veteran Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Harrisburg, Pa
    I am following my man Georges (Orange71) lead and doing my front spoiler. I did the backside last night and will do the front this evening. No clue how it will hold up but it looks great on the spoiler.

2. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    I've got a set of 15" Cragars I want to try it on. How many cans will I need to do it right? I'm also going to use the clear afterwards. Will one can of the clear be enough?

3. BAmes79

BAmes79 Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Windsor, CO
    To do a set of 15's you probably only need 1 can to do 4 coats, just buy 2 cans though so you have some extra. It takes about a 1 1/2 cans for a set of 18's. The first coat needs to be really light though for good adhesion. 1 Can of glossifier or clear should be plenty.

4. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    I had them re-chromed locally back when I did the build. They have since closed like most other chrome shops.

5. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    I did the wife's Cruze and it came out pretty good. It's been a little over a year and it's starting to shrink a little bit on the long chrome strip under the windows and has a few chips in it on the front end...but that's after almost 19k. I laid it on a little heavier on the stock wheels with winter tires and they held up great so far.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. la-rue

la-rue Veteran Member

Sep 30, 2013
    SF Bay Area, Ca
    ^looks good. I just did the wheels for my car today... now I just need to get the car running so I can actually put then to use!