Plastic Dip Rally Stripes

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by ratpatrol71z28, Mar 7, 2014.

1. mgoad1971

mgoad1971 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    Seems like easy instructions. Clean the vehicle spotless, tape off, spray coats and let dry 30 minutes minimum between coats.

The first coat apparently needs to be super light.

2. BAmes79

BAmes79 Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2007
    Windsor, CO
    I'm pretty impressed with plasti dip, I haven't used it on my Camaro for anything, but I did this set of wheels for Pontiac Vibe and they turned out better than anything I've seen from a spray can. They were originally silver, scratched, chipped, and curbed when I got them for $100 with tires on CL. A good cleaning, spot putty in a couple spots, and a little feathering with 320 sandpaper on the chips and they turned out great! I taped off and spray painted the gloss red lip on them and that's what really makes them stand out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. 68400BIRD

68400BIRD Veteran Member

Feb 7, 2006
    GO PACK GO
    Those look great. Post some pics with them on the car.

4. sunkenloot

sunkenloot Veteran Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    I did the Wheels on my DD as well as my wifes car. Hers were supposed to be Pink but came out more neon orange. I have also used it on a few badges and trim items. Overall happy with it. Its really interesting stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. uflip06

uflip06 Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    Played with it last summer. Blacked out chrome, centre of the rims and the stripes. Keeping the blacked out trim but going silver this summer. Plastidip is a good 10 footer but it can have weird texture, holds dust and no UV protections means it's not good on a DD. Easy to apply and mistake friendly and as others have said if you get bored, off it comes.

[​IMG]

6. mgoad1971

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    that's look good. but, why would you park on rail road tracks?

7. uflip06

uflip06 Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    Take note of the closed gates on the far side. Its an industrial park by my house on a Sunday afternoon :p

8. mgoad1971

Jul 29, 2011
    Houston, Texas
    I'm messing with you!! Nice car!! got more pics of the hood? How long did it last? could you wash the vehicle fine? c'mon man spill the beans!!!

/

9. uflip06

uflip06 Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Sudbury, Ontario
    I peeled it off the hood. I just couldn't make it line up right. The plasti dip needs to wet when you peel or the tape pulls it away and messes up the edges. The stripes are still there and since it stays in a portable garage is weathering well. However the recommended washing process allows you to hit it with a pressure washer without peel. Soap it and sponge or soft bristle scrub and rinse. I used a Shamwow to dry as it grabs other materials. Lint sticks to it and drives ya nuts! I actually hit it with some matte Armor All without hurting it. I don't recommend it on high contact surfaces like door handles, door sills etc.. as it will peel with regular contact and oil from hands. Bout it really.

10. TheJuggernaut

TheJuggernaut Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Johnston, RI
    Orange71, did you use the true metallic aluminum on your bumpers? And are they really as reflective as that photo indicates? I would have guessed that was chrome plating. There is no place near me that does chroming so my only option is to pay a small fortune to mail it across the country and have it done. That would be an excellent alternative.