Plasma cutter question about grounding

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by Aceshigh, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Marks71BB

Marks71BB Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Ace, the risk is minimal, Like I said in a prior post as long as the plasma don't take a chit and yer not struck by lightning yer good to go.

How long have we lived with the old regs where the neutral was 'good enough'?

2. Aceshigh

Aceshigh Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    it's Harbor Freight chinese electronics.
    I have heard nothing but good reviews so far, but.....
    It's not like a guys wife is going to come online to report that her husband got fried. LOL

I'll be as safe as I can be. :crazy:
    My neighbor is going to cut me a 20 foot length of 10 gauge in the AM off his truck.
    I already have a pipe clamp, so it's not too much of an effort.

Plus, I want to make sure this thing lasts......
    Thanks to all for the assist and sharing of knowledge.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  3. Marks71BB

I take it yer not real concerned with lightning ;) any copper water pipe should be a fine ground for this application.

Yer welcome, its what Nasty is all about bro.

4. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    Well my neighbors house was just set on fire by lightning striking the front
    lawn of his house. It went up through the house wiring and started smoldering
    and a fire broke out. That's what the FD told us anyways......

So I dunno......
    I think grounding things is safer , but I do agree we've done well without them
    for a long time. However, I also realize many of todays regulations are written in blood.

I'm just one of those people who I'd like to try and be as safe as possible around big
    electricity items in my hand.

5. Marks71BB

The only way lightning would be a concern is if it hit the tool while yer using in. Me thinks the odds are real slim. The ground in that case would be to protect the equipment and if it hit while yer using it, I think the damage to the machine would be the last thing on yer mind.

6. Aceshigh

Apr 9, 2001
    Boondocks
    So what was someone saying about if the machine itself has an internal blow out and shorts out.
    (Depending how obviously)

Doesn't that make it a dangerous item to touch without a ground ??
    Like someone said, then I become the ground and ZAAAAP

I worry more about that , then the 1 in a million chance of a lightning strike.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  7. Marks71BB

yeah, I was only referring to lightning in post #65 the internal short is the only real concern for safety and why you should ground it. IMHO the risk is still minimal. how many of these things are sold by HF , plugged in and used? A bunch! Is there a hazard? yeah but its in the 10,000,000:1 range. yer more likely to get hit by lightning.

8. Rene Melten

Rene Melten Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Blind Bay, B.C.
    Just want to add that the electricians on my job sites always clamp on to my pipe were it enters the building. In other words, if there is a "SPIKE" it will take the shortest route to ground ...'nuff said,

9. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

this is a perfect example of ground swell...

10. John Wright

John Wright Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Rustburg, Va
    Do any of you ever hook up that ground on the primary side like the case ground that Ace pointed to in the manual on p9?...I have to be honest, I have never used that. It would be a lot of trouble for me to hook that up until I rewire my OLD house. I plug into the house and hook up the work clamp close to the area that I want to cut and go to cutting.