Plasma Cutter purchase suggestions and feedback wanted

Discussion in 'Garages, Workshops & Tools' started by cubangt, Jul 2, 2015.

1. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    So id like to purchase a plasma cutter, mostly hobby work here and there. I would like to get something that can do more than I plan just to have that freedom later on to move up to bigger jobs or offer help to anyone that needs it.

So my goal is something that can handle cutting around 3/4" to 1", doesn't have to but would be nice..

Ive priced the miller cutters as I have a miller welder, ive briefly looked at the Hobart, Lotos, Everlast and Ramsond brands.

I thought I had posted in this forum, but may have on the miller about a plasma setup and there was another brand that is known for the cutters as that's all they do.

Looking for suggestions/feedback on anyone that has or had one that can offer things to look for as far as specs or accessories that would make a decent purchase and last me a while..

I don't want to buy a $300 one now to find out later I need to buy another one for more.. but at the same time, I don't want to spend $2000 on a unit either..

I know I cant have my cake and eat it too, but if nothing else, just feedback on machines you have used or have that has worked out for you..

2. Happy_Dan

Happy_Dan Veteran Member

Sep 13, 2013
    Litchfield, NH
    I have an Eastwood and it does everything I need to do so far in the garage. I am not a pro by any means and I haven't tried anything near as thick as 1". I use it in 220A mode only. It has an adapter cable that can run it on 110 but I imagine it is less efficient and I have 220 available.

3. Urban Samurai

Urban Samurai Veteran Member

May 3, 2006
    Chicago
    You may want to check out htp as well. http://www.usaweld.com/
    I have been researching tig machines and will be buying the invertig 221 next week. These are Italian made and the customer service is outstanding. I went to their shop last week to get a look at the invertig to compare to a dynasty. The owner actually brought me back and set up a machine so i could try it. Gave me some aluminum and steel to try with it. Very nice machine with a smooth stable arc.

I didn't try the plasma but if its quality is same as the invertig it would be well worth looking at. I like doing business with companies that treat you like a valuable customer.

4. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Well I did more price checking and found the following within the specs, but such a big diff in prices.. Now, the "upto" thickness was their listed clean cuts, with the Severance cuts a lot thicker, so wonder if I should look at that so I can find something little lower on the price?

Like I said, I was going to use this more for hobby and messing around and im sure that most of the jobs I do will be less than 1/2" 90% of the time..

Here is the list in order of thickness/price that would work, but the brands like Ramsond, Everlast and Lotos never heard of..
    Ramsond Cut70 = upto 1" for $789
    Eastwood Cutter 60 = upto 7/8 for $679
    Everlast PowerPlasma60S = upto 7/8 for $1099
    Hobart AirForceâ„¢ 700i = upto 7/8 for $1499
    Miller Spectrum® 875 = upto 7/8 for $2359
    Lotos LTP5000D = upto 3/4 for $464
    HTP 875S Cutter = upto 3/4 for $1870
    Hypertherm Powermax45 = upto 3/4 for $2200

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  5. Widowmaker01

Widowmaker01 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North East, PA
    As I mentioned in your band saw thread, that Lotos unit is tough to beat for the price. A machine that is capable of 3/4" to 1" is gonna be pricey. I use a Hypertherm 65 at work that is recommended at 1" thick but they run about 4k.

6. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    ok, so is Lotos a decent brand? I mean is it like a HF type machine?
    Ive read good reviews about it, most say the same thing about not being able to beat the price..

7. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

WTF are you cutting that is 1" thick?

8. cubangt

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Well im not cutting anything that thick if your ask me, but like to have the ability if ever needed..

I do have 3/4 steel plate I wanted to cut for a shop press brake I was planning on making..

9. Widowmaker01

Widowmaker01 Veteran Member

Apr 23, 2009
    North East, PA
    Let's put it this way, I recently rebuild a dump bed on a 1 ton Dodge truck and cut 8' sheets of 1/8" steel, 2x6 box tubing, and 1/4" plate for gussets. Until I got this Lotos all those cuts would have been made with a 3" cutoff wheel. The labor I saved alone made it worth the purchase and I never had to change the tip. It ripped thru those 8' sheets in less than 60 seconds. I realize it's an import but most of the electronics inside are German(Siemens).

10. gregking

gregking Member

Dec 19, 2004
    SD
    I have a hypertherm 45 and love it. Cannot say I have cut anything thicker than 3/4 but it is quit a machine. I have owned it for about 2 years without a hiccup. I believe I got mine for $1800