Pickled Gas in Gas Tank. Best why to clean.

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by JRowe, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
  2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    Eastwood used to sell a cleaning and sealing kit. For the short term, put some large ceramic magnets on the bottom of the tank so that fuel will flow over them when you fill it. They will create a magnetic field and ferrous particles (rust) will hang there and you'll slowly catch all the rust. It will grab the smallest particles.

3. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    I don't know about Tavares, but up here in Ocala the radiator shop does fuel tanks too. If you drop the tank they will clean, seal, and pressure test it. Definitely cheaper than a new tank or wife. ;)

4. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Went with the new wife still had rust in the tank :). at min pull the tank and dump it out and see what you are working with. not sure if there is on the cheap solution to this but a low end tank would only cost about $150 give or take.

5. arick793

arick793 Veteran Member

Oct 27, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    I fixed an old VW bug gas tank that I can guarantee was worse than yours. It was literally the most rusted thing that I've ever seen. I put some rocks and water in and shook the hell out of it, to loosen up some of the worst rust scale. Then I filled it all the way up with sodium carbonate water, put an electrolysis rod inside, hooked it up to a battery charger and let it sit for 24 hours. When I rinsed it out the next day, the tank was cleeeean! I drove it for the rest of the summer. Try it. I spent $1 on the sodium carbonate (powder laundry detergent) from the dollar store, and an hour of work.

6. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Tavares, Florida
    Is that Marion Raidator?

7. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Tavares, Florida

8. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Tavares, Florida
    How did you make the electrolysis rod?

9. CamaroGP

CamaroGP Veteran Member Gold Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Summerfield, Florida
    Yep. Sure is. Known the guy running the place personally for years.

10. JRowe

JRowe Veteran Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Tavares, Florida
    Thanks. I will give them a call. it's about the same distance as National Parts Depot from Tavares.