perkalators 77 lt build

Discussion in 'Project Progress' started by perkalator, Feb 14, 2015.

1. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Found some more rust. The roof to quarter seam on the b pillar was bubbling out once i melted out the lead. This was what was under the seam from the roof. Time to form a new piece and weld it in. There was another peice inbetween the roof panel and quarter that pretty much came out as rust flakes.

[​IMG]

2. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Got the patch tig welded in. I got a few pin holes from contaminates to touch up with the wire feed. Almost ready for lead or metal filler. I haven't decided if im going old school or new school.
    [​IMG]

3. Scott_H

Scott_H Veteran Member

Feb 10, 2003
    Pasco, WA, USA
    I did lead on the lower front quarter of mine thinking it would hold better than a filler. Was not as easy as youtube videos made it look, wasted many rods. Think my issue was that area was angled inward so trying to heat a drippy liquid was tricky. I was gonna leave my lead in the roof seem, but now think that is gonna be risky trusting the seam for another 30 years.

So you welded a patch over top the seem leaving an air gap? Think the metal filler is also gonna have some flex right? Think that is how I'd decide which will flex more an less likely to crack. Even with solder you'd still need filler to finish it out.

4. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    I have done lead filler before when i worked at the body shop. We had a guy we brought in for restorations. We would give hime a bottle of whiskey and a pack of marlboro's. If you work the wood paddles and are good you wont need any filler(if the metal is clean and prepped) And with the patch i installed there is no air gap between panels. The patch is rosette welded to the quarter and then tig welded to the roof panel and the quarter. As far as the lead its been 20 years since i have done it, we will see if i still have the skills. Lol

5. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    I forgot to post this picture. The quarter was tack welded every 1/4" to the toof panel before the patch was welded in.

[​IMG]

6. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Well, i decided new slash old school. I welded in a patch to fill in the factory gap on the b pillar. I wish the guy at the factory wouldnt have put the dimples in the roof skin by the back window. LoL now for some metal filler

[​IMG][​IMG]

7. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
    Man everything is looking good.. I have a 74 and 76, trying to start back up on my 74 and make some progress this year, saw you broke the cluster, if you haven't found one yet, I have empty clusters, lens and some gauges, let me know if your interested.

8. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Thank you, im interested. But gotta wait. I want to get the body, suspension and frame done.i will definately look you up when im ready to buy a replacement.

9. cubangt

cubangt Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Katy, Tx
  10. perkalator

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    Good news. Only a bottom rear quarter patch on the drivers side. Once all the bondo was ground off the body lines came back. Although which ever body shop did the repair got a little carried away with the grinder. Although ill have to do a offset above the body line in the back under the spoiler to replace some rust. I was expecting the drop off to be rusted.

[​IMG]