Penetrating oil

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by falloutboy, Mar 18, 2016.

1. Just found this little article about penetrating oils. Did you ever try the ATF - Aceton one?

from Engine Builder Tech Solution 2016 Edition

2. frankz

frankz Veteran Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Illinois
    That is all I use now

3. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    My cousin's dad, who pretty much gets credit in getting me interested in turning wrenches, used the ATF/Acetone mix for years and years. He always had some mixed up ready to use in one of those metal pump oil guns. That stuff works wonders. The main reason the aerosol canned penetrating oil gets used more (at my house) is the fact that it can be sprayed at greater distances with better precision/accuracy...but it still doesn't penetrate as well as the atf and acetone concoction.

4. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Ive been using KROIL as it was easy to purchase on line......got TWO large cans.
    Works very well as claimed too !!!!!!

5. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    All I use is the acetone/ATF mix. I've had excellent results from it while the commercial brands have failed me.
    I needed to take apart the brake lines on my Camaro a couple of years ago. None of them had ever been apart in almost 45 years. I sprayed the connections with acetone/ATF and let them sit overnight. The next day, the fittings all came apart easily with a flare wrench with no damage to the nuts on the lines. It convinced me.

6. David79Z28

David79Z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 22, 2009
    Greenville, TX
    What do you guys put the acetone/ ATF in to spray it?

Will a standard plastic sprayer work?

7. perkalator

perkalator Veteran Member

Aug 27, 2014
    kennewick wa
    This stuff is the best ive ever used.

8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Tried KROIL to remove the smog line exhaust manifold fittings on my 73 Survivor.

I got the "Nut" to turn, but twisted the line(s)

9. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    I have Kroil also. I only use it when really needed. It works good...but man does it really stink the place up.

10. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    I picked up a couple of rechargeable spray cans at Menards. Mix the ATF and acetone in the can and put in some compressed air from your air compressor and you have the perfect spray can for the mix.