Patch panels for rear lower qtrs

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1beautifuldaughter, Nov 15, 2017.

1. 1beautifuldaughter

1beautifuldaughter Member

Aug 28, 2017
    I hope this is not a redundant question, I looked a bit and couldn't find the subject. I am wondering where is the best place to get rear quarter drop down for my 71 z28 . Does anyone make a quality pc that would have the little step in the bottom near the pinch weld flange and proper contours? I would think with this being such a common resto issue someone would make something good. The ones I have seen so far look like bad stamped to closely resemble something. This is the only pc of metal on my car that I have to replace so I want to do it as right on as possible. Thanks

2. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    I bought mine at Summit but haven't installed it yet. It looks pretty nice to me and I'm pretty sure it will work fine. I backed over a trash can many years ago and crinkled it behind the left rear wheel, about the size of a baseball. That is the only spot of rust on my car too.

3. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Thanks , I have done a little research since my post and found this is likely all thats out there. I too bought one from Summit and I was surprised with todays technologies and the large need for parts like this that someone wouldn't make a lower section with the same shapes and steps as on an original gm quarter panel. Yours is probably the same as mine. They just left extra metal fly off at the bottom to do with what you need. The side marker light punch out is a joke. I only have to replace the bottom 9 or so inches so I don't need to worry about that but ( Why ?) why can't they make something better? Really helps you know what to look for on a restored car, I did find that the shape of the panel in general is very similar and If I get the wheel opening flange located right I should be able to re create the shapes on the bottom and trim it and with that established I should be able to trim the top as needed and get the job done. I guess if I can chop a 34 ford sedan I can do this, Its just that I want to feel real good about it when its done. I guess its all I can do aside from looking for a rust free camaro that someone won't mind me cutting a big pc off of; : ) Once I get going maybe I will post some photos for fun. Thanks

4. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    So I figured I would post some photos of my work in progress, As is usually the case I found my rusted area to be worse than thought once I started poking around. No saving much of anything from the inside or outside of the lower quarter. Going back to my original question of different quality patch panels, and frustration that they don't seem to make anything better than what I have, I find it even more interesting that the inner drop down being so much more complicated to make is really pretty on the money. I have established where the low front corner of the outer panel will go and tried to put a very generalized set of bends in it that will need perfecting once I get further along. I do not have any special tools for this, But anyway I have a lot of metal cleaning and fitting etc to do, and I am hoping to try to duplicate the flange pinch welds with a pinch welder my brother has. So anyway I did decide to share my scary mission. this is the only rotted place on my car body that needs restored.

Attached Files:

5. sandiego74

sandiego74 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 23, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    It's funny you started this thread, as I was contemplating starting one over the exact same thing. Mine doesn't look as bad as yours, but it's getting there. Not too long ago it was just a small area under the paint. Now it's nearly all the way through and spread quite a bit. Crazy how fast the stuff spreads. Good luck with the endeavor!

6. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    Just a progress report, I cleaned up metal and fit and welded inner drop down section. It worked out pretty well I guess, with a light slick of filler over the seem on the inside it should look like I was never there. I coated it with some DP epoxy prime before I perfect it with a little filler then I will seal it again and spray it with Eastwood rust Encapsulator. They make a red Encapsulator that I was happy to find looks extremely close to the original red prime they used when the car was built . I just hope I get the outer panel in place right. without any problems. It again amazes me that the much more complicated inner drop down fit so well. And the outer panel is just a vague ( similar ) panel.

Attached Files:

7. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
  8. 1beautifuldaughter

Aug 28, 2017
    So I am no Chip Foose for sure but I think with a little fine tweaking I will be ready for a coat of epoxy primer sealer and a little plastic. This stuff is not easy. praise to all you who do it every day. Thankfully like I said before the rest of the metal seems to be good and solid. Im just posting my progress figuring maybe it will inspire other garage do it yourself guys, ( or gals )

Attached Files:

9. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    Nice work, and I have found that the guy that works at
    A2Z Vehicle Parts
    6500 River Place Blvd Building 7 Suite 250 Austin, TX 78730
    Phone: 800-814-3201
    James, is his name, there most nights until 10 answering the phone , has been in the body panel sales game forever , he knows all the players and knows what works well and what doesn't , and if you say you are from here he will give you a better price,

10. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Does AMD make its OWN repro qtr panel or patch for qtrs ???

and if so how does it replicate the look and fit ????