Passing Emissions on your 2nd Gen

Discussion in 'Colorado Owners' started by MoarThrottle, Jul 13, 2016.

  1. MoarThrottle

    MoarThrottle Member

    Aug 22, 2013
    Denver, CO
    I've got a 1980 Z28 from TX with a stroker engine and i have to get it smogged in CO. It's no longer any car over 25 years old it's 1975 and older. Which really sucks.
    I'm thinking maybe buying a cheap cat and seeing if that's all i need to do. Now to be honest i haven't failed yet but i'm pretty sure it will.

    Does anyone have any tips on getting your 2nd Gen to pass emissions?
  2. 351maverick

    351maverick Veteran Member

    Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    here in PA we have special "classic" or "antique" registration license plates that give a free pass
  3. TheFastForester

    TheFastForester Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Feb 9, 2008
    Broomfield, Colorado
    I've got dual exhaust on my 78 Z so I had to get two cats. Make sure the carb is tuned well too. I have to get mine checked annually but it's reduced price, I think I only pay $15/year.
  4. sparkyboy

    sparkyboy Veteran Member

    Feb 4, 2015
    aurora, co
    I know of an 81 and older emissions testing place in Denver, where the guy will test your car without a full exhaust. All you need is the cat. So rig it up and go there, if you are in the area.
    Bring a 9/16 wrench so if you fail, retard the hell out of the ignition, until it barely idles. It's not on a dyno so you don't need to worry about drivability. It worked for me on a 77 Chevy van that was only running on five cylinders (inline six). I imagine an engine with a stroker kit is in a pretty good state of tune however!
    Let me know if you need the address!
    I remember when they changed the law, it does suck! You can't get collectors plates anymore!
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2016
  5. MoarThrottle

    MoarThrottle Member

    Aug 22, 2013
    Denver, CO
    Thanks guys.

    I might have to try that guy Sparky. Right now i'm thinking two cats since it's dual exhaust and run some Blue Sky. That and doing an oil and filter change and bringing it in all warmed up.
    If that's all it takes I'll be happy.

    The website says, "Vehicles manufactured in 1981 and older will be inspected using a two-speed idle test."
    Any idea what that is?

    **i just realized i might have to fix my gauges now...Damn**
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  6. nutchevy

    nutchevy Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    May 3, 2002
    lakewood,colo USA
    You used to be able to get collectors plates on any 25 year old car or truck. But like everything else people abused it with smokers,junk and rust buckets. that why it was changed,I got mine way before the change happened,
  7. Allen Halingstad

    Allen Halingstad New Member

    Nov 2, 2016
    I just took my 1975 in and failed inspection. Passed emissions but failed visual. Said I needed cats and all smog pump crap. I have dual exhaust and transplanted TPI 350 from 1989 camaro. UGH!
  8. Edem_Alive

    Edem_Alive Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Dec 18, 2015
    Drive up and license it Montana, we don't have 'Smog'!
  9. PFZ28

    PFZ28 Veteran Member

    Dec 6, 2009
    ThornTown, Colorado
    Man, I feel ya. I just went through emissions with my 22 yr-old Audi. Ended up buying a cat for it. Passed, though. I went to BDM Performance Exhaust. If you're near Denver, give 'em a call. (303) 922-5280. Talk to Brian.
  10. Allen Halingstad

    Allen Halingstad New Member

    Nov 2, 2016
    Good news! Found out Colorado offers Collector Plates for 1975 and older vehicles. They are five year plates so you pay for all five years ahead of time, but you don't need any emissions test at all; ever. If you try to get the year to year plates, you do need all the emissions.

Share This Page