Parking car on grass or dirt??

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by XxWickedz28xX, Oct 31, 2008.

1. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 22, 2001
    Carmel, NY
    So is it a good idea to park the car on grass or dirt for the winter?

I dont want my 79z on the driveway because Ive had a few close calls with the snowblower last year. Plus I get an extra parking spot incase of company or whatever.

I moved the car today to an open part of my yard, its mostly dirt, some grass. Should I put a tarp underneath the car then park it ontop, or just leave it alone?

Here is how it sits now
    [​IMG]

2. protour73

protour73 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 21, 2006
    West of Chicago
    If you have a wet spring.....can you get it out? Is it absolutley critter-proof?? mice can get in some incredibly small spaces, they will eat your wiring, seats, everything!!

3. my24ktrat

my24ktrat Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2007
    Roch., NY
    ...I would at least put a tarp under it ,possibly something to cover the exhaust tips for those those critters, and put mothballs in pie tins for the trunk and interior for the critters ,they don't likem' , the dirt/grass thing is basically the same ,going to get moisture up into it anyway , I've seen those covers that you drive into and zipper it up ,might want to check into that , DC

4. Cardinal

Cardinal Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 22, 2003
    Endicott, NY
    +1 for a storage tent. Also put mothballs in the engine compartment in the air cleaner area, on the intake, and near the radiator. Plus some in the interior as the critters can do a ton of damage there too.

5. XxWickedz28xX

XxWickedz28xX Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

May 22, 2001
    Carmel, NY
    No storage tent! I had one of them things collapse on this car a few years back. I have pics somewhere, I'll post em when I find em. I had it for a few years, then one year it snowed a butt load overnight. I woke up to it sitting on the car :mad:

As a matter of fact, where it sits now, is where the tent used to be. Its hard to see in the pic, but the ground was leveled out so ther car would sit level in the tent.

Ive got the usual dryer sheets in the interior, I never thought of covering up the exhaust, but I will this year.

Ive got a tarp big enough to park the car on it, then fold it over the top. Kinda like a camaro taco :) Im just not sure if that would be a good idea, wouldnt it hold moisture in it?

6. K5JMP

K5JMP Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

park it on the pavement dood... trust me on this:screwup:
    I spend most of my time playing catch-up:whine:

7. woody80z28

woody80z28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 8, 2004
    walton, ny usa
    Dirt/grass KILLS.

My Beretta went from pretty damn good to needing some major rust repair in just 2 years living in a dirt driveway thanks to NY. I was amazed at the difference just between a pavement parking spot and dirt.

Do all you can to keep the moisture away.

8. 1FstChevy

1FstChevy Veteran Member

Nov 24, 2005
    Buckeye State
    Yea... If I were you I'd take the chance of a ding in the driveway over ultimate RUSTY death.

My Camaro currently lives outdoors year round under a top quality cover $$$, stuff needs polishing occasionally but no increase in rust. One winter I parked it in a buddies "dry" barn, but simply because it had a dirt floor with moisture coming up through the ground everything not heavily coated on the bottom side got a light coating of surface rust in 4 months time.... which is more than the ZERO it acquired outside since I've owned it!

You could always have a small asphalt addition added beside your current driveway depending how the setup is; not as fancy as concrete obviously but its pretty cheap even when done right, solving the ground moisture and space issue.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  9. masparks

masparks Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 7, 2006
    Gas, Kansas
    Maybe you could at least have a load of rock dumped..Also those 695.95 carports are real nice.
    I don't know about where your at but for 33.00 here will get you a fair amount of gravel.
    I think that would be better than just the dirt.

10. RICARDO1969

RICARDO1969 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 14, 2007
    Waukesha WI
    what about paying for monthly storage?