Painting an Aluminum Radiator

Discussion in 'Engine Topic' started by Green hornet, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I purchased an aluminum radiator that has factory looking tanks. I want to paint the tanks, not the core so that it retains the stock look. Any issues with this idea. Any suggestions on type of paint / primer. I would prefer a rattle can product because of simplicity.

image.png

2. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
  3. mark wagner

mark wagner Veteran Member

Jul 31, 1999
    Saylorsburg Pa. USA
    for aluminum you should use an etching primer followed by the paint. do not use epoxy over the etch primer, it will peel off in short order. Bulldog is for plastic bumpers BTW.

4. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
  5. Green hornet

Green hornet Veteran Member

Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    I ended up using engine paint from Duplicolor. No primer needed. I scuffed it a little and cleaned it with lacquer thinner. Coated it with low gloss black. It turned out nice and is holding up well.

dale68z and 70-camaro like this.
  6. CAMeeks

CAMeeks Veteran Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Deer Park, TX
    Bulldog® Adhesion Promoter is designed to promote paint adhesion to all automotive surfaces, even problem plastics. It works equally well on all flexible or rigid plastics, fiberglass, aluminum, glass, chrome, vinyl, galvanized metal, and painted surfaces. Bulldog acts as a tie coat by allowing several different surfaces to be painted at the same time to assure a smooth, flawless, durable finish every time.

Seems to cover more then plastic.

70-camaro likes this.
  7. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    I would try to use as little paint as possible as to not insulate the fins from the air.

8. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    I used taps and paper and didn’t paint my fins.

9. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    This actually gets very technical while as you say the paint can act as an insulator (impedes heat transfer) , but black also enhances emissivity:
    Emissivity is a measure of the efficiency in which a surface emits thermal energy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emissivity
    https://www.thermoworks.com/emissivity_table

Generally, a thin coating of black on a radiator enhances its ability to move thermal energy from the inside to the ambient air. They didn't paint the radiators from the factory black without good reason.

70-camaro likes this.