Paint Jail experiences

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    Forget the show quality paint jobs. Call Earl Scheib.

1971CamaroGuy and xten like this.
  2. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Actually those big box paint shops like Maaco would be a good option if you have the body work done and ready to spray. All these guys do is spray all day long and get pretty good at it.

I looked into it one time and I think it was going to be around $1500 for a premium base coat / clear coat paint job. Find out the paint code they use or even see if they would sell a quart of paint and jamb your car at home, take off of the stuff you don't want painted off and pull off the taillights in the parking lot. Slip the painter a fifty spot to do a extra nice job.

It's all in the prep and if your comfortable doing bodywork at home, that would be the way to go. Had there been a earl shieb or Maaco in my home town that would have been an option for me...nearest one is in memphis about an hour away.

3. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I bought a black Corvette years ago that was painted at Maaco. No one would touch it, since the paint job was average at best. Dirt, few "flow indicators" here and there, but really a nice car from Florida. I pretty much stole the car and took it back to my shop. Sanded and buffed it, it looked great. So if this is not above your skillset, this is a very viable option.

4. Lars_2Gen

Lars_2Gen New Member

Dec 29, 2017
    Fullerton, CA
    I had a similar experience at a body shop back in the early '90s. The guy was a very good painter (he painted some of Meguire's show cars), but my Camaro sat at his shop for months for collision work. He eventually finished the car and actually made up for his delay by painting the whole car rather than just the front end (which was all I paid him to paint). In the end I was happy to have a better paint job on my car than before, but it really sucks to see your car sitting in a shop when you've already paid for the work to be done.

One thing I've noticed - a good painter is an artist. Most artists are flakes.

5. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    You had done a lot of the prep, why didnt you just go ahead and paint it yourself?

I'm going to be in a similar situation, and I think I'm going to attempt to paint myself. Im going to prep it as good as I can, and then convert garage to a paint booth. Buy a good gun, and good paint.

I did some painting years ago with a crappy gun, and it turned out pretty good!

6. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy Veteran Member

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Because at the time, I didn't want to mess with it and had some cash to spend. It "seemed" like a win win at the time. I spent 4-5 years building the car and was treating myself to this part of the build. I just had this vision of dropping it off and not long later I would be picking up a nice painted car. Didn't seem to work as planned.

But I def will do it myself next time, I am learning more and more every day that it's sometimes better to do the work yourself...these businesses tend to be hacks. Doesn't matter what area it's in...automotive, home repair ect.

Unless they have a expensive tool or a skill set I don't have it's just not worth the hassle dealing with someone else. There's not much I can't do anymore anyways.

7. restore-z28

restore-z28 Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2010
    Vancouver, BC
    Great article and thanks for sharing your experience, will go a long way in helping people be better prepared when choosing a body shop ;)

8. giggity

giggity Veteran Member

Mar 18, 2013
    Pearland, texas
    I hear you! I consider painting a craft, like most things, and there are people who are just more talented than others. Most shops dont spend the time to do a good job, because time is money...and most people arent willing to pay for the extra time it takes to do the job right. So I get there is a compromise on quality. I've seen some paint jobs done in garages that would blow your socks off, so thats my goal, prep as best as I can, take my time, and buy really good paint.

If I could ever get past my fender situation, I might actually make some headway...Im stuck in a holding pattern