Paint Jail experiences

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by 1971CamaroGuy, Feb 2, 2018.

1. 1971CamaroGuy

1971CamaroGuy LS Swapped 1971 Camaro

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    It's been 3-4 years since having my car painted at a local shop and the issues I had along the way.

I documented everything and figure I would share this with others to learn from my mistakes

https://sites.google.com/site/paintjail/home

2. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    I've seen the same thing from others. Thank you. Wise words. Can't wait till its my turn.

1971CamaroGuy likes this.
  3. RS1979

RS1979 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Good info Dennis

1971CamaroGuy likes this.
  4. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    I am a shop owner and I agree with everything you said. When I was young, I worked in one of those shops. The blatant unscrupulous and obvious acts were shocking to me. Robbing Peter to pay Paul is a very common practice. If you're doing that, you should be doing something else, or go work for someone else because you have no business being in business. I was a PPG tech rep (trouble shooter) for years, and I've even seen it in dealerships. Unfortunately, people like you are the ones to suffer. It doesn't surprise me that body shops are usually in the top two for complaints along with home repair, which I have been a victim of myself. These parasites give our business a black eye. I don't do resto's or overall paint anymore, just finished the last one about a month ago for a friend. People are always asking me for referrals. I always tell them the same thing. Go to a car show/cruise. See something you like? talk to the owners. Ask questions. A lot of questions, especially the ones you outlined. If a customer was happy with the experience, they will be more than happy to share that with you. Nothing better than word of mouth. Sorry you had to go through this Dennis, but it's good of you to share this experience so other people who may not think of these issues will have some "red flags" to recognize.

Smokey15 likes this.
  5. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Thanks, I have learned that not all bodyshops are like this, some are more responsible than others. So the general assumption isn't directed to all shops.

It's why we have credit scores, some are better at managing money than others. Same can be applied to business.

I'm all business and up front, I have the cash to spend and someone has a service to offer. If I am going to hold up my terms of the agreement and pay for the service I expect no less of the business to do their part.

Your right about home repairs and services...I am going through that right now trying to get a deck tore down behind my home. This is my 2nd attempt and the company I contacted this go around is flaking out on me. The latest is they are "supposed" to come by after lunch today and take care of it.

Two days ago they told me it would be that day and they never called me to meet them

Smokey15 likes this.
  6. PalmbchZ28

PalmbchZ28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2017
    West Palm Beach Fl
    I had a very similar experience with a shop in Ocala.

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    On my '69 Z/28RS, I have had two piss poor paint jobs, both by shops that have been known for good work. One rushed my job because he took on too much. The other was a custom painter who, unbeknownst to me, had smoked his way into laziness. The Z/28 stripes, on the decklid, while being proper dimensions, are crooked. Plus, I asked to have the firewall and underside shot in satin black. It came back flat. I was so pissed that I stuck the car in the corner under a cover.
    With encouragement from some close friends and family, we (a couple friends and I) moved it to the front of the shop. Autocraft Custom Collision will be getting the Z in their shop soon. Meanwhile, I have been sorting through things. And, I need to order a few parts.
    2 photos for Autocraft (6).JPG 2 photos for Autocraft (5).JPG 2 photos for Autocraft (10).JPG

8. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

71CamaroGuy, Thanks for your article. I SAVED AS in my documents file............................

I have a 73' R/S Camaro project that is looking for paint......
    I made the mistake of taking a verbal estimate after seeing a First Gen complete
    paint job at a local shop.....This shop has several incomplete dusty projects
    sitting around....

The shop did do the below work (underfloor, UPOL wheelhouse etc, Single Stage
    Firewall before I pulled the plug and removed the project. I paid him $1K

I supplied the SPI Epoxy Primer and PPG Delfleet Essential Polyurethane

I paid $1200 to have everything media blasted on my rotator

I'm looking for a Washington State Painter to Paint this rust free project

20170719_150722.jpg 20170802_120415.jpg 20170903_153149.jpg 20171019_193304.jpg imagejpeg_0001002003.jpg imagejpeg_0001002003004.jpg imagejpeg_0001002003004005.jpg

Smokey15 and 1971CamaroGuy like this.
  9. 1971CamaroGuy

Oct 31, 2004
    Arkansas
    Dang, good thing is if that body looks as good as it does in the pics, they should be able to fix all that with minimal down time

Smokey15 likes this.
  10. xten

xten Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Pittsburgh, Pa.
    Smokey, looks like the guy that put the stripes on needs an inch-o-meter. Make sure they've re-done the stripe thing before. I know you're picky, and on that car, I would be too. If the metal, even if it's stripped and isn't prepared right, there is a possibility of seeing where the old stripes were. It may be very faint, and only in certain light, but it happens. I strip the panels, use metal conditioner, then run over where the stripes were with a 60 grit pad lightly on a 5" grinder. I know it sounds crazy, but it's almost like an upheaval where the stripes were. Just cheap insurance. Mention it to the shop that you don't want to see where the old stripes were, just maybe as a precaution. He may laugh at you, but trust me, it happens. I'd hate to see you dig a hole in your back yard and bury the car over something like that and it seems you're pretty disgusted with it and the shops that did this already. We ran into this same problem on a 69 Pace Car.

Smokey15 likes this.