pain in the azz sand blast cabinet

Discussion in 'Tips 'n' Tricks Topic' started by DBS, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    thats one of my control arms in the cabinet pics of them looking all perty coming soon I hope.

2. hot72rod

hot72rod Veteran Member Gold Member

What is the point of the holding tank on top of the cabinet.?

3. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    OP what the hell are you trying to do?

dump 50# of your media in the cabinet, buy a $10 SIPHON blaster, stick it in the sand & blast away....you are making that cabinet WAY more complicated than it has to be

4. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    the gun that's in it is gravity fed so had to get it above gun.

5. DBS

DBS Veteran Member

Sep 24, 2014
    Belzoni MS
    I never tried a different siphon set up other than what came in it and it never would work right. it would work ok for few minutes then get stopped up, I can not tell you how man times I have sifted that media and it would work for a few then quit.

6. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Gardner, KS
    I had the same setup, Found out from some professional restorers, that they thoroughly powerwash and clean the parts before they go in a cabinet. Otherwise when you start blasting the big loose chunks go into your siphon media and get pulled into the gun. Once I started pre cleaning good, I started having minimal problems.

Grease is especially the culprit too.

7. hot72rod

I bet you get a lot of water in the line also. Any little bit of moisture will cause the media to clog. I have pretty much the same cabinet and have used it for about 15 years now. When I first got it, I hated it because I was useing it every day. After I learned to get the moisture out of the air, it made thing a lot easier. The next little trick I learn was to put my finger over the tip when I lost media. What that does is force the clog back out of the gun. I have used sand to the point it was as fine as baby powder.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. camarolife78

camarolife78 Veteran Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Gardner, KS
    Nice Tip! I did not know that

9. abshire1006

abshire1006 Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Gueydan la
    I have a blasting cabinet just like that one pictured, I used a hydraulic high pressure hose and upped my pressure to 100 psi, also I noticed when its a humid day "I live in south west Louisiana so we have a lot of them" the gun tends to clog up, I use to use actual sand then changed over to blasting media called the devils teeth, it works amazing, I broke my gun the other day and a friend of mine let me use his, he had a small tip on it and I swaped it out for a bigger tip and it works amazing. I also find that pumping the trigger helps keep the flow more steady, if I keep the trigger squeezed the gun will start blowing air with less media, then I bump the trigger and cover the tip and blow the air out my suction line and it starts working fine again. hope you get it.

10. hot72rod

Here is the system I used to help fight moisture in the air line. I like to have 50 of air movment before I get to the FRL. As you can see in this pic I also have a dog leg before the FRL to help catch moisture. This will keep 99% of the moisture from getting past you FRL. If you are doing a lot of blasting dont be surprised at how many times you have to empty the trap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016