Overtime

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by 5spd540, May 11, 2013.

1. 5spd540

5spd540 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Ok I am in charge of a group of people at a company that has a ton of work.
    Can you belive I cant get any of my guys to work any mor than 60hours a week. I pull 72 to 80 a week. I need more cabinet builders. We are booked up till 2018 with orders

2. ATM

ATM Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Morris, Illinois
    Hurry, Hurry, Hurry, Uh, guys, we don't have any work for a while... We'll give you a call...

3. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Totally. I friggin hate OT. They get me 5 out of 7 days as it is!
    If a company can't get their orders done with a regular crew of employees working a 40 hour week then they need to hire more workers or plan better.

I never volunteer for OT. Screw them.:screwup:

4. 5spd540

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    Man I am looking for 60 builders by the end of the year.

5. 5spd540

Sep 19, 2009
    Guyton, GA
    We get paid double time for over 60hrs

6. 80 hours a week?! How do you get camaro time in ?:screwup:

7. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

Ya, same here. And the more hours you work over 60 the more taxes are taken out. I actually make about the same working 80 than I would 60.
    It simply works against you the more you work.

8. 77z28327

77z28327 Veteran Member

Sep 16, 2012
    Pensacola, FL
    I'll work a few hours over but my family time and my quality of personal life mean quite a bit.

9. Orange71

Orange71 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jan 31, 2001
    Finksburg, MD
    It's a job not their lives...I'm sure they have families to go home to. You have too much work, hire a few more workers.

10. earlysecond

earlysecond Veteran Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Altoona, PA
    First let me say that I have never punched a clock in my life. I think some of what goes in to your frustration are things you cannot control.
    1. Some folks value their time more than double time pay. They like to spend time with family, go to a kid's ballgame. Relax or get on a Camaro board.
    2. Many people perceive that they are already overworked for what they make or at any hourly rate.
    3. Most comanies are not loyal to employees and so employees do not feel they need to help the company. . .the screw them that Laine already posted.
    4. If overtime is still taxed the way it was many years ago, then you do not see the immediate impact in your next paycheck for your efforts because a good bit was withheld.

The dynamics of the workplace, across the board has changed. The American workforce has changed and it continues. I see a whole generation of kids who will be more than happy with much less than I strive for. I suppose that might turn out OK too. For that reason, I may invest in companies which build really inexpensive housing rentals becasue nobody will buy a home.

I hope I am wrong but this is what I see.