Overkill or just good maintenance?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

I keep my stuff as clean as possible, but never thought about waxing.
    Great idea, and I'll have to start doing that.
    My trans jack is an old Sears, over 30 years old, looks damn near new.
    My big roller battery charger, over 30 years old, looks like new.
    My neighbor beats the crap out of his stuff, and is on his 10th battery charger at least.
    He throws stuff, hits stuff, runs over stuff etc etc and gets pissed when I refuse to loan him equipment!!!!

I will never understand this throw away thinking young guys have now a days????

Zstar likes this.
  2. ol' grouch

ol' grouch Veteran Member

Jul 4, 2013
    Evansville, In.
    It is definitely NOT overkill. I had a 1984 Dodge pickup that I finally got rid of at just under 400,000 miles. The tin worms finally got to it. It really bothered me that I had to replace the engine at 335K. I don't wash my car often but the mechanical parts are kept in good shape. I hear time and time again that oil changes only need to be done every 5-6000 miles. I still do it every 3000 miles. I do a complete underbody inspection each time along with greasing the front and end and chassis.

I usually buy older stuff that someone let go and neglected. I run it for a long time and don't have depreciation.

Now, my brother-in-law does go a little over board on maintenance. He even vacuums under the hood on his cars. Then again, he bought a 1971 Caprice new in '71. In 1998 or so, the tin worms got to it so he sold it to a co-worker to use the drive train in a street rod. All that guy did to the 200,000 mile engine was change the exhaust manifolds and paint it. Equipment regularly lasts decades with him.

3. Joekool

Joekool Veteran Member

Feb 4, 2002
    Hollister CA USA
    I found my lawn mower on the curb with a free sign on it, it barely runs and the wheels wobble. I'm afraid it will fall apart if I clean all dead grass and dirt holding it together :crazy:

4. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    True, You might find that the grass and dirt is holding the rust that is holding the mower so it works. Sometimes cleaning isn't all good.

5. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    I know a guy who waxes his A/C condenser....

6. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    I was raised in a home where we had enough, but not excess. My parents taught me the value of things. I took care of my toys, games and bikes. I still have my Tonka Trucks, Bike and 2 sleds from childhood. So I definitely can't fault anyone who takes care of what they worked hard for.

Zstar, Dave Nelson and GoldenOne7710 like this.
  7. GoldenOne7710

GoldenOne7710 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Athens, GA
    I definitely keep all my stuff out of the weather...it makes a world of difference. Water/moisture isn't near as bad as direct sunlight though. It wreaks havoc on anything rubber, upholstery or fabric.

Let my nephew borrow my new floor jack one time. He had it for a month. Went over there for something else one day and there it was...sitting out in the weather. It had started rusting and the seals were showing dry rot. Made him buy me a new one.

Smokey15 likes this.
  8. chevyJeff1

chevyJeff1 Veteran Member

I thought I was the only one that waxed their riding mower.

Don't tell anyone, but I wax my cd cases. Keeps them scratch free :)

9. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

FLUID FILM On all Plated Fasteners and Bare Metal

10. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    I'm like you here in MN. I waxed my snowblower for the 1st time last year and it helps, it does keep the snow from sticking to the inside a lot. I also use pam cooking spray on the inside where the auger is. There is a mod you can do to the inside impeller by adding some rubber flaps and it will make your snowblower throw the snow on a decent machine over 20ft. I found it on youtube, pretty impressive for suck a cheap mod.