Overkill or just good maintenance?

Discussion in 'The BS Topic' started by gramps, Oct 27, 2017.

1. gramps

gramps Veteran Member

Jul 5, 2009
    mankato, mn
    Just curious.. does anybody else take a few minutes a year to throw a little wax on their equipment? I like my stuff to last and just like my car my riding mower and snowblower get a quickie wax job. The waxing the blower serves 2 purposes... keeps it looking like new and the snow/slush/water beads off and I get very little sloppy mess in the garage after. I've had neighbours ask me if I got a new blower... nope she's 8 years old already.
    My John Deere mower is pushing 30 now. But still looks awesome.
    (I had it up on the table to adjust the belts and cables, change the oil etc. starts with one pull except for the coldest of days then it's 2-3. Have yet to use the electric starter)
    IMG_5190.JPG

IMG_1151.JPG

Zstar and brooksman9 like this.
  2. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    If that is what you like then it is a good thing. Most people run things hard and never do anything. I like to hose off my mower after cause it keeps the dirt from holding moisture and rusting too quick. I never thought of waxing, but it is not a bad thing.

3. z2880

z2880 Veteran Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Tewksbury, ma, usa
    Overkill to someone who wants to buy a new one every 6 years

I silicone my snowblower shoot

4. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    If you have the time to do it and it makes the equipment last longer, its well worth it. It's also much more "fun" to work on clean equipment than crusty and dirty.

5. sal70ss

sal70ss Veteran Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Auburn NY
    I agree what smokey said

6. DrPepper

DrPepper Member

Aug 29, 2017
    Central VA
    Overkill is a relative term. Means something different to each of us.
    But I'm right there w/ you. I clean my equipment after each use. That way it's ready to go the next time I need to use it. Do the same w/ my tools. I hate to pick up a tool and have to clean it before I can use it.
    And wax is a good thing.

Zstar likes this.
  7. Fbird

Fbird Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 12, 2011
    atlanta, ga
    To each there own .... (but i wax n buff my mower also ;) )

8. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    If it matters to you, it is definitely worth doing. My snowblower is 20 years old and I've never washed or waxed it because it doesn't matter to me. All that matters to me is that it works for 6 months of each year when I need it. Mine has always had minimal maintenance. It gets yearly oil changes, the auger greased, and new chute skids when they are worn down. And, I'm much lazier than you. I never pull the rope. I bought mine with the electric starter and use it 100% of the time. I find it easier to tap the starter than pull the rope.
    I replaced my push mower this year too. And, because I'm lazy, I'm the only kid on the block with an electric start push mower. I"m not pulling the rope there either.

9. Bandit723

Bandit723 Veteran Member

Oct 1, 2016
    Waupaca WI
    Same thing here that Gary said but my push mower is self propelled as well.

10. 77thor

77thor Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Personally, I think that it's overkill... But whatever "floats your boat"...