overflow/recovery/recirculating?

Discussion in 'High Tech Retrofits' started by Goat, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Goat

Goat Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Jun 7, 2001
    moncure, NC
    So, being an old school 1st gen sbc guy, you always had a radiator with an overflow tank to catch coolant that escaped from the radiator for whatever reason.

Nowadays new systems have tanks with a hose that connects to the radiator that catches overflow and feeds it back as needed with temperature changes.

Trying to design something for my LSX 70Z. Anything special I need to concern myself with the LSX platform? Trying to decipher all the terminology, "overflow", "recovery", "recirculating", and what system I need...

What are ya'll using for your LS conversions?

thanks.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The old systems with overflow tanks also take care of recovery as the engine cools and takes the coolant back in. There is nothing new there. The old system does it all. 1970s technology was amazing for new people who think today's tech is an improvement.

3. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    You just need a radiator with an overflow bung on it and an early 70's Camaro tank and hose. (So you can mount it in the factory location and it fits the contour of the fender well.)

It you use some aftermarket overflow tank.... The hose needs to go to the bottom of the reservoir and the top of the tank is vented.

4. 70-camaro

70-camaro Veteran Member

Mar 25, 2010
    marietta ohio
    70 Camaros didn’t have an overflow bottle so you will have to fab a bracket or maybe one from a later year will fit.

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    ^^ no the 70 did not, but the inner fender had the holes for the 70-74 version. That’s what I’m using