Outer Window Felts?

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by Double R Restorations, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Double R Restorations

Double R Restorations Veteran Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I'm really thinking about ditching the z21 trim on my doors for several reasons. I like the look of the wide flat bead chrome window felts. Can anybody recommend a good set that fits good. I did a search and it seemed that none of them was much good, but those threads was a few years old. Thanks Russ

2. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Russ, Why would you NOT like the look of the POLISHED Stainless Z21 Moldings....

I think that was a good look that GM dropped because it cost more to have made
    and cost more to install .....but a good look...............

Style1.Trim.Z21.jpg StyleTrim1.Z21Moldings.jpg StyleTrim2.PillarMolding.jpg

Attached Files:

3. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Chuck, I love the look of it. I'm wanting to run a AMD 2 inch cowl hood. I first thought I would custom cut a piece of trim to work with the hood, but i have also had some issues with reproducing the trim studs on the new door skins. I'm also a little worried whether I can get the trim on the door without scratching the paint. Just alot of variables that have me wondering if i shouldn't install it. Thanks, Russ

4. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    The studs will show if you go with the other 2 trim types GM used.

5. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    I figured they would. I will grind flush and weld the holes. I'm still in the metal work phase.

I'm looking at 2, Tomcat whiskers and MCI's. Any thoughts?

Thanks Russ

6. bkmont

bkmont Veteran Member

Nov 14, 2010
    Pensacola, Florida
    Hi Russ,
    F-Body Warehouse shows an installation video of the MCI outer window sweeps with wide flat chrome strip. The fit looks pretty good to me.
    Bryan

7. Smokey15

Smokey15 Veteran Member

Aug 13, 2017
    My wife's '71 has the Z21 trim. We used a Harwood 'glas hood so the trim ends at the top of the front fenders. Do not buy OER window sweeps. They first set of seals we purchased were OER. They went in the trash. Aside from the rest being crap, the window sweeps were such hard rubber that they would be scratching the window glass in a short time. And, the fit was poor. We have Steel Rubber Product weatherstrip now. Still far from perfect, but much better.

8. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    I used the wide trim from my 78 Sport Coupe (covered with black-out tape) and deleted the Z21 trim from my Berlinetta.
    I felt the car color, black wheels, tinted windows and lack of other bright trim on the car completed the look.

If I had wanted chrome wire wheels covers and a 100 feet of gold pin striping (factory)... I would have kept the Z21 trim. (And the wheels would have been gold.)

upload_2017-11-27_9-8-37.png

The extra trim changes the look of the car.
    As the owner... The choice is yours to keep the trim or not.
    A cowl hood makes the decision that much more difficult.

BTW... If you keep the Z21 trim, there is a screw which holds it in place on the fender tips and it's difficult to remove/replace with the fenders bolted to the car.

9. COPO

COPO Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Sep 15, 1999
    Ontario, Canada
    I would use the wide non Z21 sweeps I show sitting above my Z21 sweep if you get rid of the studs.

[​IMG]

10. Double R Restorations

Jan 11, 2002
    VA
    Thanks for the replies guys. Copo, that is what I'm thinking about using. Talked to Fbodywarehouse today and they said that they have had good luck with the MCI brand.