Out of state (CA) registration

Discussion in 'California 2nd Genners' started by SactoJD, Apr 25, 2017.

  1. SactoJD

    SactoJD New Member

    Apr 25, 2017
    Hey All,

    I'm looking at a '70 in NY '70 purchase and bring to Cali.

    DMV is telling me that in order to register an out of state car, there needs to be sticker that shows compliance with US Emissions, to which I told them there were no such stickers in '70.

    So then they tell me that I can use a letter from manufacturer that states car meets US Emissions, to which I told them there were no standards in '70.

    Nonetheless, I sent email to Chevy asking if they have such a verification letter available. No response yet.

    Does anyone know how to get through this absurd requirement?

  2. Green hornet

    Green hornet Veteran Member

    Oct 11, 2015
    North Bay, CA
    Car doesn't need to be smoked even if we're a CA car already. I'm not sure that they know what they are talking about. Try calling them back and talking to a different person.
  3. SactoJD

    SactoJD New Member

    Apr 25, 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

    This is not related to smog, but the vehicle verification form (search "reg31" on DMV.ca.gov website, section 8 of that form, which looks for emissions sticker verification. If the inspector checks "none" (i.e., no sticker present), then they will ask for this verification letter from either the manufacturer or CA clean air dept.

    You may be right in that this person didn't know, but she was very specific in her replies and even hinted that some people buy a sticker or some people get the form filled out by 3rd party inspector to indicate sticker is there, and in those cases (3rd party inspector) the DMV cannot physically touch the car. Basically I think she was trying to tell me how to get around the requirement without explicitly telling me to break the rules.

    I guess I'm asking if anyone has brought in an out of state car and gotten through this Reg31 paperwork, specifically section 8 of that form.

    Thanks again.
  4. 70 Proof

    70 Proof Veteran Member

    Sep 28, 2014
    Southern Utah
    From what you say it sounds like there may be some confusion with the DMV employee's instructions.
    Pre 1975 cars are not subject to Calif vehicle smog requirements.
    You will need to have a VIN verification (Reg form 31) filled out. Calif police, sheriff or CHP officers can do that. If you can't get the car to one of their offices they can come to you. The person who fills out the VIN verification form may want to see the federal safety certification sticker. Its the blue sticker that your car should have attached to the left door. Have all the pertinent documents with the car as you go through the registration process.
    If the car you are registering has clean paperwork and a good VIN you should be able to license it after jumping through a few hoops.
    If you haven't already done it I suggest you do some preliminary research on line at Calif DMV.gov or similar.
  5. Z28SSRS

    Z28SSRS Veteran Member

    May 2, 2009
    Nevada City, CA
    I think what DMV might be referring to is the Emissions Decal that came from the factory usually mounted on the radiator support or shroud. Classic Industries has reproduction ones for sale for $4.99 each. You would have to know what engine originally came in your 1970 Camaro and when your car was built to know which specific decal to order. I would just order a reproduction decal and mount it in the appropriate place on the car. This should work. I bought a 1967 Camaro from out of state and was able to get it registered here in California. This Emissions Decal, for Camaros anyway, only began with the 1968 model year so my 1967 didn't originally come with one or need one for DMV purposes. Hope this helps.
  6. SactoJD

    SactoJD New Member

    Apr 25, 2017
    Thanks, this is probably what I need. I've called around several verification shops and DMV again a few times. I've gotten many different answers.
    It seems there was a change in Oct'16 to the verification form section 8 highlighted here: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/c...c41-8132-cf1f200b74a4/16vin18.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

    It seems this change has thrown many people for a loop, with varying degrees of how to address.

    I think the state is really trying to stop entry of older cars (gotta love CA).

    I'll look at the repro sticker as a solution.

    Thanks for the feedback!
  7. Turbo70Camaro

    Turbo70Camaro Veteran Member Gold Member

    Jan 7, 2005
    so cal
    Call CA CHP and set up appointment with the car and ask them the same questions .................
  8. Knuckle Dragger

    Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

    Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    No, California is trying to keep people from buying Federal emissions vehicles out of state and bringing them in. There was a huge run of this in the early 90's. Unfortunately you're getting caught up in it with the older car. You can thank all the guys that did their best to circumvent the rules in the past for the silliness you have today. They were charging a environmental impact many years back but the courts put a stop to that.

    Post 5 has the right idea. Get a sticker that matches what you have and roll with it.

    Despite was was said here your 70 will not be exempt from smog. You are exempt from bi annual and change of ownership inspections but you can be sited by a police officer and be forced to have the vehicle tested if he suspects it's missing something. When I left in 08 they were actively training LEOs on what to look for. I knew two guys that got sent to the referee after a traffic stop.

    MIDNIGHTBLUE Veteran Member

    Jul 28, 2000
    Southern Kaifornia
    I have brought in two cars from out of state, one from Nevada and one from Australia. (LOL) true story.

    The Nevada car, I brought the title and bill of sale and they registered the car no problem, I had to pay taxes on the sale price on the car. I was asked about smog/emissions/nothing. The car was a 72 DeTomaso and the process took about 15 minutes. The car still had the blue and yellow plates, I screwed them back on and they assigned the car the same plates because they were no longer assigned to any registered vehicle. The lady told me you can even buy them off ebay (Vintage Plates) and have them assigned to your car as long as the plates are no longer assigned to any vehicle.

Share This Page