Original TH350 to T56 Swap

Discussion in 'Transmission & Driveline Topics' started by Xavier Vairo, Dec 14, 2017.

1. Xavier Vairo

Xavier Vairo New Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Hey everyone, I've got a 1979 Camaro Berlinetta. I'll give you all a list of what is currently installed on the car.

The Original TH350 with some sort of shift kit.

A Chevy 350 with a mild-ish cam, Edelbrock RPM Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 650 Carb, and Dart Iron Eagle SS heads.

Original 10 bolt with an open diff and I think it has 2.73 gears (which I plan on changing to a posi and 3.42-3.55s)

The TH350 shifts nice and feels good, but I wanted a manual for fun and fuel economy (it is my daily driver and I make a long trip to work and school.)

The end goal of this build is a comfortable daily driver that I can have some fun with. I was wondering if anyone on here has done it and if it is worth the effort.

I found a T56 out of a 2006 Corvette for a super good price, but he says it needs to be rebuilt. I am willing to rebuild it myself or have it rebuilt if it is really bad.

I've read that you can use a T56 with older SBC's with an expensive flywheel, but I wanted some confirmation on that.

Basically, I need to know everything I'll need to do (or if it's even a reasonable thing to try) or buy to finish this swap. I don't know if that is too much to ask for, but any help would be immensely appreciated.

My budget is tight, but I plan on doing basically all of the work that I can.

Thanks Guys,
    Nick

2. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

That trans will not work at least without more parts. I think the tail housing and tail shaft have to be changed. I'll let others connect on that

In general, what has to be done to put a t56 depends in what t56 - there are a lot of variations.

Also in most cases you'll really want a 3.73 or higher rear gear.

Xavier Vairo likes this.
  3. Xavier Vairo

Xavier Vairo New Member

Jun 3, 2013
    Arizona
    Yea, I'm having a hard time finding specifics about putting the 2006 Corvette T56 I've found into 2nd gens. I've heard the LT1 T56s are an easier swap, but still not a piece of cake. Thanks for your reply!

4. 1980RS

1980RS Veteran Member

Jun 17, 2006
    MN
    After reading the original thread starter, you cannot use a late model T-56 it must be one out of a Camaro or Firebird to work.