Original Parts vs After Market Replacements

Discussion in '1970 - 1973 Specific' started by ZWhite72, Apr 3, 2017.

1. ZWhite72

ZWhite72 New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Valparaiso, IN
    Hey Guys,

Great site with lots of info.. I could use a little direction on original parts vs replacements.

My background is Corvette C3, and this is my first Gen2 Camaro..The car I have is a 72 Z28 (yes it has the L in the vin and Z28 on the trim tag.) A little backstory on the car..Numbers matching LT1 engine, TH400 tranny and rear end with build date code consistent with other build dates/codes I’ve found on the car..It had been sitting for 10 years or so, so changing all of the fluids is a no brainer, he did drain the gas tank before parking it..10ft paint, complete car minus correctly dated carb.

So I dropped the gas tank to get at the fuel sending unit, and the tank looks clean on the inside, the outside not so much. No leaks..Does it make sense to put the original tank back in to keep it original, or replace it with an aftermarket one? I don’t think I’ll keep this car, I do have a vette that sucks up all my disposable income already..But I don’t want to mess with a potentially restorable Z..I just want to get it running safely, and pass it on to the next guy..I assume that consumables (points, plugs, brakes) don’t matter too much..But the tank and other non-consumable parts may..

Sorry for the long post.. Any words of advice appreciated..

2. bodymanbill

bodymanbill Veteran Member

Feb 1, 2007
    South Park Pa
    I would save it , my 73 tank sounds just like yours, like new on the inside and was absolute garbage on the outside. I put a couple days into it and now it looks like this[​IMG][​IMG]

3. Chevrolaine

Chevrolaine Veteran Member Gold Member

What Bill said. If it's not leaking why replace it? Nothing aftermarket fits as well as original and it'll only give potential buyers one more thing to complain about.
    Take it out, clean it, paint it and be done with it.

4. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    I also agree with trying to keep the car original. I was missing many parts on my 71 since I bought it as a disassembled mess but anyway I have purchased many aftermarket parts [non sheet metal] and the majority of them actually fitted pretty good. I like the OER brand name. My last project was also a C3 1977 corvette.

5. Budz

Budz Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 17, 2002
    Ashburn, Va USA
    Whether or not you re-use it or replace it, keep it so it can go with the car when you sell. It sounds like you've already surmised a buyer for a car like that will probably want the original parts. If the car is that original, it needs to stay with the car.

Also, don't be too quick to toss parts like plugs, plug wires, or anything else for that matter that you replace. Replacing original parts is costly, and however insignificant you might think a part is, it's probably not to 'originality' buyers.

Bottom line...don't toss anything. Replace if you need/want, but since you're planning on selling, send the old parts with the car. :bowtie:

6. ZWhite72

ZWhite72 New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Valparaiso, IN
    Thanks guys, I doubt I can make it look as good as Bill's, but I'm gonna clean it up and put it back in.. And save whatever I replace, like the shocks!!

7. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    IMG_4167.JPG Not too shiney .. fuel tanks were bare sheet metal with the USS sticker on them

8. 70lt1z28

70lt1z28 Veteran Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 1999
    Beavercreek, Ohio, USA
    Not to mention, if it is a rare car the next guy would probably like to see the original stuff just for verification.