original 79 z28 grille part #s on the grille yes or no

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by dklocke937, Oct 21, 2016.

1. dklocke937

dklocke937 New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    WEST FARGO ND
    hello I just bought what is suppose to be a nos 79 z28 grille did gm have gm part # on the grille, thanks Dennis..

2. Twisted_Metal

Twisted_Metal Moderator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Bloomington, MN
    Part number... Not sure. Mine is a repop.

IIRC....
    78-79 grills were all the same.
    The only difference was the Z28 grills were black while the Sport Coupe (and RS?) grills were a silver-grey color.
    The LT grill in 78 and Berlinetta in 79 may have been slightly different but I don't know any part numbers and they were definitely not black.

3. dklocke937

dklocke937 New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    WEST FARGO ND
    Thank you, I also have a repop to me it looks like a repo, the so called gm is shiny black and I thought it should be flat black and has no numbers on it . Dennis..

4. The GM one has atleast the material cast in it. Somehting the repops I have seen don't have.
    And I'd have to look at my old grilles, to see if I can find some other things on there, but they have been painted several times, so a light engraved # would not be visible anymore

5. dklocke937

dklocke937 New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    WEST FARGO ND
    that's what I thought too, this one has nothing on it, I paid a nos price and that's what I want, and I think the originals had a brass insert so you could not over tighten them so they crack, thanks Dennis..

6. No brass insert here at my OE parts.
    Forgot to check if I can see something, u interested in upper or lower grille or both?

7. dklocke937

dklocke937 New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    WEST FARGO ND
    I have both repos already, just want nos if I can get them, that's the only reason I bought this one but the repo looks better than the nos one I bought..

8. dklocke937

dklocke937 New Member

Jan 14, 2015
    WEST FARGO ND
    I`am pretty sure it`s a repo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016