Optimal performance tire size for 15x7 z28 wheels

Discussion in 'Suspension, Steering, Brake & Wheel Topics' started by vintagecarenthusiast, Sep 20, 2018.

1. vintagecarenthusiast

vintagecarenthusiast New Member

Sep 26, 2017
    I've seen this topic covered a lot on here but I think my question is slightly different. I like fat tires (like everyone else does) but I'm unwilling to sacrifice any performance for it. In your opinion what is the best size tire for performance on a 15x7 wheel? All other things being equal I would lean towards the wider tire until the point where it impedes performance. I do also want to make sure that I have a tall enough sidewall that the tire looks right.

I currently have two centerline wheels (I'm guessing 15x7) in the front with 235 60 15 tires and two fake centerline wheels (i'm guessing 15x9/9.5) in the back running 275 60 15 tires. The rear non-legit wheels are pretty beat up. One of the rims is losing air pretty dramatically and it is a hassle and probably unsafe inflating the tire every morning that I want to drive the car. I bought a set of pretty nice z28 wheels that are 15x7. I will likely have the rear wheels widened in the future but I still have a few months of driving before I put car away for the winter so I need to buy tires now.

If it matters, I'm running 430hp/450 torque small block with a 4 speed transmission, factory suspension thus far. I do not see any evidence that the car was raised or lowered.

Here are pictures of my new wheels and what I have now.

IMG_1772.jpeg IMG_1696.jpeg IMG_1697-1.jpeg

2. Jeep43

Jeep43 Veteran Member

Mar 30, 1999
    Connecticut
    Best performance doing what exactly?? Spirited driving thru the twisty's? straight line? all weather cruising?

3. vintagecarenthusiast

Sep 26, 2017
    Good question. I'm mostly interested in handling. I want it to hook up from a start but I understand that I can't get everything that I want from a 7" wide wheel. My work commute is very windy highway heading into Baltimore City and I drive pretty fast so it's mostly about highway driving and turns and curves. Dry weather cruising. I put the car away before they start putting salt down here in Maryland.

4. Zspoiler

Zspoiler Veteran Member

May 6, 2012
    Federal Way, Washington
    When I had 15 x 7 Appliance "Turbine" wheel s on my 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro. And it was my daily driver I Goodrich P235/60-15" in front and P245/60-15`s in back. I live near Seattle.But I have also driven the coast road from California to here .It handle it quite well.

vintagecarenthusiast likes this.
  5. djorgensen3

djorgensen3 Veteran Member

Oct 15, 2009
    Peoria, Az
    Why don't you seal the rear rims so they don't leak air or at least make sure its the rims vs valve stems or tires. On motorcycle spoke rims, they seal the center so air doesn't bleed past the spokes. And I would go as wide a tire as you can on those rims. I have some 275's mounted on a set of 7" rims but my car is only a roller and they look kinda goofy but they fit. And there are lots of guys on here that run tires up to 335's for performance so wide tires shouldn't be a concern for you.

6. cadillac_al

cadillac_al Veteran Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Maine
    245/60r15 would be max for a 7 inch rim.

7. 80sz

80sz Veteran Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Buffalo,n.y.
    You can squeeze on a 275/50/r15 on rear. It will just clear on a stock rim. Mickey Thompson and bfg make a street/drag radial in this size. You need to drop the air pressure to max out the contact patch. At 35 psi you will be getting almost 8" of rubber on ground. Dont expect them to last long ,they are soft but will hook.

8. vintagecarenthusiast

Sep 26, 2017
    I could probably get them sealed. I hate to spend any money on them. A tire shop tracked the leak to the center of the rim and the air is actually leaking from near the lug nut holes. I guess the wheels are made from two pieces and they are separating slightly. They have holes drilled in them for drag racing wheels and I really like the z28 wheels. However, if they weren’t leaking I would wait until next season to make the change.

9. BonzoHansen

BonzoHansen Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Good call, don't bother with that old wheel

That's not a good choice on a 7" wide rim and his stated intended use. the wheel is to small so the contact patch will be distorted and it's not designed to do what he is planning for

I drive pretty fast so it's mostly about highway driving and turns and curves.