Opinions on this laptop please

Discussion in 'NastyZ28 Gamers & Computer Gurus' started by Knuckle Dragger, Sep 13, 2018.

1. Knuckle Dragger

Knuckle Dragger Administrator Staff Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
  2. 70Znut

70Znut Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Sarasota,FL
    Pretty high end laptop, fast processor and dedicated video memory and chip.
    SSD and 1tb hard drives deliver fast boot and response time with plenty of storage.
    the 8gb of ram is a little on the low side but can be upgraded to as much as 32gb if needed.
    Should have no problems running this for a several years.
    Price is reasonable for the features and specs.
    ...Jeff

3. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I agree with the above, just check and see what it costs to upgrade the RAM , plenty of storage, and good video/graphic card , so should be a good machine for the next couple of years,

4. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    That is a lot of money for something you only expect to get him through the next couple years. Go to wally world and get something Half the price or less. That way if it gets dropped you won't feel that bad. I got my kids a couple of Asus to start. They held up for 3 yrs of constant rough use. They would carry them around everywhere fight and slam them shut.I know they have been dropped several times too. One unit started to crack around the hinge area. It started to mess with the screen. Otherwise they have been good little laptops for around 250.00 each. My 2 cents.

5. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    A $250 laptop won't run the stuff he runs. I don't believe he's ever broke anything I ever gave him. Durability against carelessness or abuse is not one of my concerns.

6. Coadster32

Coadster32 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 2, 2013
    Milford,CT
    Looks good from my house, as long as it's affordable to you. 8GB of ram may be considered low, but I think you'd be ok to try it out first. Most games rely heavily on the video card anyhow. (always upgradable down the road). I'd give it a go...nice choice.

7. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    It seems the video card is the major cost factor. I was going to suggest that he upgrades the ram once he gets set at A school. The price is a bit of a reach but he shipped shortly after graduation, just before his mom's surgery so he missed his 18th birthday and graduation celebrations. He never asks for anything so it will be a big surprise.

dave@ztech likes this.
  8. camarochevy1970

camarochevy1970 Veteran Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    looks like there are 2 memory slots in that guy. so if they used a single 8gb stick you can add another for under $100. If they used 2 4gb, then the 16gb kit from crucial is like $180

9. Knuckle Dragger

Nov 2, 2002
    Waddell AZ
    I went with https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...ate-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602

I just ordered another 8GB of memory and a 1TB SSD drive from Crucial. This has an open memory slot and a bay for the additional SSD drive. I looked at a lot of benchmarks tests and the difference in performance vs the difference in price between the i5 and i7 it didn't make sense in my application to pay the premium for the i7. Overall for the price of everything I think I got a better value and a machine that will out perform anything he'll want it for.

I spoke with him today and he mentioned he was thinking about getting a new laptop but wasn't sure he wanted to spend the money. I convinced him to save for a while before me makes any purchases. I said I would update his old machine before I shipped it to him (got all his passwords to transfer the programs and such). He's going to be so surprised when I ship this to him instead of his old laptop.

10. 1972_Z-28

1972_Z-28 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Oct 6, 2005
    Sugar Land, Texas
    He will be a very happy young man. You're doing great job of being Dad!!!