Opinions on this '71 RS for sale

Discussion in 'Camaro Questions' started by cybercoaster, Oct 14, 2016.

1. cybercoaster

cybercoaster New Member

May 10, 2016
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I have been wanting a split bumper for some time. Getting close to pulling the trigger. Found this add close to me. Hard to tell if it's a real RS or not but not that much of a show stopper. Looks in great shape inside. Drivers side floor board needs small fix, trunk and everything else is good. Body straight but old primary needs removed and all redone. New engine put in it and then parked for 4 years. he is asking $13000. Seems high to me given the minor work it still needs plus prime/paint.
    Thoughts at this price? high or about right?
    Pics https://goo.gl/photos/KX4hoCAknCJCYhqX8

His add "It has a New Vortec 350 with nice sounding cam, coated headers and flow masters, Holley Carb, new seats, new dash, new carpet, new headliner, 4-wheel disc brakes. It also has Brand New front and rear window trim and other items still wrapped in the OEM GM packaging, along with the new front air dam and the one piece low profile rear spoiler, and a bunch of miscellaneous finish up parts like door wipes and other assorted soft parts never installed."

2. jimrr

jimrr Veteran Member

Jun 12, 2016
    sarasota
    They say never buy a car in primer, hides a multiple of some sins. Interior is nice, if the mechanics are solid, it's a $7000.00 car to me

3. wnmech

wnmech Veteran Member

Jul 20, 2014
    grand prairie tx.
    Sounds like the owner put quite a bunch of money into the car I know from what you mentioned that he has already replaced he probably has 5-6K into those parts. I'm not as knowledgeable as a lot of the guys here but it looks like an RS to me. Two years ago I gave 9K for my 71RS/Z28 and it was in a heck of a lot worse than your pictures.

4. dave@ztech

dave@ztech Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 27, 2016
    NY
    I agree on both points , I have paid more , and my car was also in primer , so it have to be stripper back down to bare metal , costly , bottom line if you like it and can afford it and what its going to take to get it where YOU want , BUY IT

5. badazz81z28

badazz81z28 Veteran Member

May 4, 2001
    Las Vegas, NV
    Unless the goal is to deep dive into a restoration, I wouldn't buy a primer car. Cars in primer are usually because something was fixed and no time and money to paint the car. I would buy a painted a car...for $13k, you can get a much nicer 70-73. Paint alone will cost you thousands to do it right.

6. tom3

tom3 Veteran Member

Aug 1, 1999
    ohio
    Bought an old truck years ago, flat black primer. Took it to a car wash on the test drive, sprayed it down, got a good look at the body while wet. Really shows up body work etc. This one was straight. Might be something to try if you get the chance.

7. 351maverick

351maverick Veteran Member

Aug 11, 2010
    erie, PA
    it's only money

OP if you like the car & plan on keeping it then go for it

if you are planning on spending some $$$ on repairs then flipping it then that car need closely looked at

that being said, $13k seems way too much

8. ssupercoolss

ssupercoolss Veteran Member

Nov 3, 2015
    PA
    Camaro prices seem to be all over the map. 13K might be ok in my area with paint on it. interior sure does look nice, but why do all that if it still needs a repair to the floorboard?

9. ultimateoffroad

ultimateoffroad Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Friendswood, TX
    Just look it over good. Look underneath. Take an inspection mirror and flashlight and look in trunk drop offs. Take a magnet and check the typical spots.

I would not go by the primer theory as someone could throw a cheap coat of color over the primer with the same crappy work below.

10. fester

fester Veteran Member

Jun 26, 2016
    Central Texas
    A good paint job with the proper prep, body work etc. will run 8-10 thousand dollars. I;m thinking 7k tops...