Opinions on shift points....RPM

Discussion in 'Competition Camaros' started by 54baker, Oct 30, 2017.

1. G72Zed

G72Zed Veteran Member

Sep 8, 2015
    Canada
    While your asking about the EQ heads, ask if they sonic checked the block and have the spec sheet, I see it's .080 overbore, that's pushing it for sure.

2. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    Yep. It's a early high nickel block. Ill ask about sonic checking. He builds a bunch of them.

3. 54baker

54baker Member

Oct 29, 2014
    Waverly, ia
    So i spent about 20 minutes on the phone with the engine builder. He's been building '80 overs' for years. He used to have a supplier that he got the blocks from because the bores were already 60 over and they didn't want them. He's collected many early high nickel blocks and built many like mine. He currently has a 550HP 393 (80 over stroker) with 1.7 rockers and .625... Anyway.. back to my motor. He has yet to see a block break/crack/grenade etc from his 80 overs.

So here are some more details. 200cc runners (he still thought it was a 190cc...but i don't think they made them either). Elgin Black Ice cam 224/234 .465/.488 adv. dur 298/304 112lc. 9.5 ish comp ratio.

He said the motor was designed for street use which I realize. Again, I'm "running what i brung" at this point while I get the chasis set up... then I'll work on a motor. He said he wouldn't be afraid of running it to 6k as a shift point to bring the shift back into a better torque range etc. I'm going to try starting at 5600 ish until I get comfortable with the car... then I can play with the shift rpm's and et's....

4. mrdragster1970

mrdragster1970 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Nothing wrong with testing low to high.
    My crank & rods are very very over kill, so I usually go for it right away & shift high.
    Obviously a big difference from 8000 & 9000 RPM BBC's and a street car.
    Nothing wrong with breaking her in at 5000 and going up a couple every pass until it noses over.
    Just be safe & have fun!!!!

54baker likes this.