ongoing AC problem for years ! 1973

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting & Diagnosis' started by Lou6t4gto, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    My 1973 Camaro LT RS Z28, (had it 43 years) has had a problem with the AC /Heat fan "Switch". ( car is obviously a Late 1972- sewn headliner, switches, etc) so it uses a 1972 AC fan "Switch".
    Anyway, I've tried to replace it a few times over the years and I always end up with the same result. It works, BUT 1 wire ALWAYS gets hot and tries to burn off the end ! I've cut off the wire end and installed a new "End", no Go. new plug, Nope. the fan "motor" is new, no extra "Draw". WHAT could be causing this wire to overheat ? Is there any "other component" between the switch and fan motor that would do this ?? right now it just has a" toggle switch" inline for the middle speed fan power, but that only gives me On/Off, nothing in the middle, and I'd Really like to make it RIGHT. Thanks for your Help.

2. Gary S

Gary S Administrator Lifetime Gold Member

Apr 14, 1999
    Bismarck, North Dakota
    The fan motor draws more current with higher speeds. For that reason, high speed should run to a relay instead of directly to the motor. If it is the high speed wire that is burning up, check the relay for problems. Actually, make sure the relay is still there and hasn't been removed sometime in the past.

3. twozs

twozs Veteran Member

Aug 5, 1999
    hopewell jct ny
    do you have a picture of what you have ? i believe my high speed relay gets power from a red wire from the horn relay post . it also has a 30 amp inline fuse from the factory .

4. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    Hopefully I'll check these things out tomorrow. Thank you

5. budro6968

budro6968 Veteran Member

Apr 2, 2016
    Jax Florida
    [​IMG]Do you have one of these resistors? Not sure which kind would be on your car. Maybe one of the elements is bad? That is what controls the speed from what I remember.

6. Lou6t4gto

Lou6t4gto Veteran Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Ocala, Fla
    I believe I changed that years ago