? on flattening agent PPG

Discussion in 'Body Restoration' started by spicewood1, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Matt's 73 z

Matt's 73 z Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 7, 2004
    Mankato, MN. USA
    Is Barry claiming that you only need a water based cleaner? If so, he is very wrong. You need to be using a true wax and grease remover AND a water based product (a water based product will NOT remove wax or grease and a W&G remover will NOT remove a water born contaminant)

Sprayway glass cleaner will cover your needs as far as a water based cleaner and it only costs about $2 a can.

Some of this crap the paint companies are trying to sell to the public is a joke. I was a Sikkens paint rep. for 2 years. During that time they tried to get us to push a water based cleaner at $50 a gallon:rolleyes: But, They also stressed the fact that you also needed to use a regular W&G remover.

2. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    i have used regular glass cleaner for years instead of buying high priced cleaner. i use the ppg solvent based cleaner as a final wipe.

3. spicewood1

spicewood1 BANNED

Jul 16, 2001
    NC
    Not to smash SPI because I am pleased with the epoxy, but I also see a big warning not to use laquer thinner as a prewash, to use their waterbourne cleaner instead. Barry tells me via phone call that the waterbourne cleans the metal far better than solvents because the water lifts the greases. (?) I never had problems doing a prewash with thinner, or even the solvent I am getting ready to spray with. How could it cause an issue?

I'll take your advice and use the cheaper cleaners. Much appreciated.

4. junky1

junky1 Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    cocoa florida
    i have been using this method for many years and have never experienced any gloss reduction.....

5. junky1

junky1 Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    cocoa florida
    i have been using this method for 8 years now...my dupont paint guy told me it works and it does....i did a whale tail on a porshe 4 years ago and it still looks good

6. boardog

boardog Veteran Member

Dec 8, 2006
    north ga
    i would like to see a pic of a black urethane base applied and dried using the method that has the correct shine to it.

7. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

imagejpeg_0001002003.jpg

This is how the SPI Epoxy Black looks for those interested in the how much
    gloss it has ....The above car I am NOT trying to replicate the OE black primer
    but also chose to NOT Top Coat with a single stage Black.

Since my last postings I have learned about PPG Delfleet Essential Black (Single Stage)
    Polyurethane. I saw it in Hemmings Muscle Cars and read that Scott Tieman and Nyle Wing
    (both big name, expensive shops) were using this product on frames, sheet metal, stamped
    brackets, etc etc.

I had my painter use it on my current project differential and firewall so far and very pleased
    with the look. We followed the PPG Bulletin and flattened with DX10 to achieve a semi gloss.

70lt1z28 likes this.
  8. junky1

junky1 Veteran Member

Dec 22, 2011
    cocoa florida
    black base works also...has a nice sheen and doesnt die back

9. CamarosRus

CamarosRus Veteran Member

Junky1, I am NOT a professional painter and dont know all my "facts"

I'm thinking that PPG Delfleet Essential is less $$$$ than
    using PPG DBC Base Coat Black......while still being a quality
    product. Below is my 73' Project Firewall (Delfleet) mixed to
    Semi Gloss

20171019_193304.jpg 20171019_193333.jpg

10. 70-SS/RS-L78

70-SS/RS-L78 Veteran Member Lifetime Gold Member

Mar 19, 2003
    Phila area
    Chuck your PPG jobber should have these matt charts that you can use as a referance.
    If your painter has the PPG software and scale for mixing paint it will have the exact
    formula you will need. they will still have to do test spray outs cause the type of
    reducer, thickness and spray technique will effect they way it looks.
    Mark

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]